List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TARN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1051067

Location

TARN HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityMidgeholme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 60560 58480 MIDGEHOLME NY 65 NW 7/69 Tarn House (formerly listed under Midgeholme and Geltsdale)

1.4.57 II*

Farmhouse, formerly tower house. Late C15 for Humphrey, Lord Dacre, with extensions and alterations dated 1843 over entrance and initials T.(&) M.H. on inscribed stone set into wall. Calciferous sandstone rubble walls, over one metre thick and in places 2 metres thick in tower; wall of tower raised by about 3 courses when gabled roof added 1843; graduated slate roof with eaves modillions, yellow brick chimney stacks on stone bases. 2 storeys; 3-bay tower with 2-bay extension under common roof. Tower has projecting stone gabled porch with plank door and dated lintel. Angle buttress to left, with probable filled entrance between this and porch. Original small filled ground floor window to right; small windows above are 1843. Rear wall has large footing stones and plinth. Original ground floor entrance is filled; windows all of 1843. Extension left has plank door with plain stone surround. Ground floor 2-light sash windows with glazing bars; similar 2-pane sashes above. Rear wall includes older stonework, which may be from the curtain wall referred to by Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p410-411. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, xi, p234, which refers to a document of 1485 mentioning 'a new built house called Ternehouse'. Overlooks Tindale Tarn and on a good defensive site.

Listing NGR: NY6061358486

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Curwen, J F - Title: Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland - Date: 1913 - Page References: 410-411
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Journal Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Volume: 11 - Page References: 234

National Grid Reference: NY 60613 58486

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 02:34:07.