List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STANSTEAD BURY

List entry Number: 1051056

Location

STANSTEAD BURY, ROYDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityStanstead Abbots

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355938

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS ROYDON ROAD (OFF) (north side) Tarbets Hill 5/38 Stanstead Bury

4.12.51

GV II*

Manor house of Stanstead. Oldest part is SW wing, late C15 for Abbey of Waltham; 1563 additions to N and E of neuclius; mid C17 range to SW (demolished in early C19) 1689 E range remodelled for Edmund Field as principle front; after 1802 S front refaced for Robert Jocelyn; 1930-31 N wing built, entrance moved to W and accretions removed by E G Cole for Sir William Gosselin Trower (RCHM Typescript). Heraldic stained glass dated 1563 in chamber over W door. Timberframing, generally plastered but exposed on stair turret; C16 and later red brick largely plastered over, but exposed on W and N. Steep red tiled roof. A compact irregular large house of 2-storeys and attics presenting formal symmetrical fronts to E and S. SW wing is the original timberframed hall- range with crown-post roof, now cased in C18 red brick and with inserted floor and attics. C16 brick range, added to E of hall refaced and plastered in early C!9 to form S front. Square C16 brick block added to NE of hall, with parlour and chamber over and semi-octagonal turnpike stair turret with decorative exposed timberframing. A 3rd storey added in C17 timberframing, and timber bellcote over roofs to S. The E range of 2-storeys, attics and cellar contains the principal rooms and central staircase. The present entrance is into an old gabled brick rear range on its E side which appears to have been unaltered in 1689 when the main range was altered and remodelled as a tall symmetrical brick building with steep tiled hipped roof, modillioned eaves cornice, advanced centre, 2, 3 and 2 tall windows (triangular pediment over lower central window formerly the main door) and 4 dormer windows in the roof slope with triangular and curved pediments, a b b a. C17 leaded casement cross windows to dormers and 1-window on N wall under a flat gauged arch. Elsewhere replaced by flush box sashes with 6/9 panes. S front of stucco symmetrical, 2 storeys and 3-windows, with advanced centre and steep hipped roof. Ground floor openings set in round arched recessed panels. Central half- glazed door with panelled fanlight. Recessed sash windows with 9/6 panes below and 6/6 above. Modillioned eaves and moulded cornice. Interior has c1690 stair hall with bolection moulded oak panelling, cornice, cut string oak stair with carved and fluted balusters, with group of 4 to wreath at bottom, stone floor with black marble dots, and similar bolection panelling and fine cornices in E range. Jacobean wooden Doric columns to support upper floor in dairy (former C16 parlour), turnpike stair with central pole in turret, moulded and stopped wooden opening on 1st floor over entrance hall, C18 cast iron firebasket with classical reliefs in 1st floor E room, and a marble fire surround with fluted coloured inlay in S range. Ground floor (which may have been introduced c1930). RCHM (1911) 210: VCH (1912) 369: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3999011190

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 369
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 39990 11190

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 04:04:51.