List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL

List entry Number: 1050931

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkBroadlandDistrict AuthorityBurgh and Tuttington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-May-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 228058

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 22 NW TUTTINGTON THE STREET, TUTTINGTON

3/99 Church of SS Peter 10/5/61 and Paul.

II*

Parish Church. C12 round tower, remainder of fabric mainly C15. Flint with limestone dressings; pantiled nave roof, plain-tiled chancel and porch. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. C12 west tower with later brick parapet. Lead covered spirelet with weather cock. Bell openings with 'Y' tracery on north and south sides; east and west openings blocked. South porch with ogee headed foiled niche over doorway. Porch originally two storeyed, but upper floor now removed. Blocked upper and lower windows in east and west walls. Door to upper chamber survives in south wall of nave. Three south aisle windows much renewed Perpendicular tracery. North aisle windows Perpendicular, the centre window with earlier Decorated motifs. Staged buttresses with flint panels divide bays. Nave eaves parapet. Interior: stairs to former porch upper room at south-west corner of nave. Rood loft stairs at north east corner of nave. Blocked north door. Pulpit dated 1635 and fitted with hour-glass stand. C15 octagonal font with shields in cusped panels. Font cover of scrolls radiating from central post, dated 1638, Very fine C15 carved bench- ends fitted to later benches. Carved corbel-head, possibly for rood beam, at south-east corner of nave. Plain drop-cill sedilia and piscina with foiled head in south wall of chancel. C19 roofs and boarded ceilings over nave and chancel.

Listing NGR: TG2265527187

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 22655 27187

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 06:07:37.