List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1049130

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ASHFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSwaleDistrict AuthoritySheldwich

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176856

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 05 NW SHELDWICH ASHFORD ROAD (east side) 1/50 Church of St James 24.1.67 GV II*

Parish church. C12, chancel and chapel C14, C15 west tower; restored and north aisle and south chapel added 1888 by St Aubyn, south porch 1899. Flint with plain tiled nave roof and slated chancel roof. Chancel and north chapel, nave with north aisle and south chapel, south porch and west tower. Three stage tower on plinth with string courses and battlements and diagonal buttresses offset 3 times. South-eastern stair turret with square lower stage rising to octagonal upper storeys with a spirelet. C15 Perpendicular traceried windows and 3 light western window in 4 centred arched surround. Western doorway with roll mould and hollow chamfer and roll moulded hood. Half-timbered and glazed south porch, and C12 south doorway, round arched on imposts, with external holy water stoup. Nave south wall with exposed jambs of C12 Romanesque window cut by C14 fenestration. South chapel nearly free-standing, buttressed and now totally C19. Chancel walls brought up higher than nave, with low-pitched slated roof. C14 fenestration except C19 Perpendicular style east window. North aisle with reset C14 east window, otherwise C19. C14 window in nave eastgable a mouchette wheel in triangular surround, the tracery bars decorated with bead ornament. Interior: hollow chamfered tower arch and surround on attached piers with octagonal capitals. Hollow chamfered stair door to south- west. Exposed jambs of C12 windows in north and south nave walls. Three bay north arcade to St Aubyn's Decorated style north aisle. Nave roof of 4 crown posts, the end 2 raised. Two bay triple chamfered arcade on central octagonal piers with attached columns to south chapel. Double chamfered chancel arch. Double chamfered arch to north chapel. Roof of 3 crown posts with embattled wall plate. Fittings: moulded piscina in chancel and cusped ogee headed piscina in north chapel.C18 box pews with raised and fielded panels in south chapel. Monuments: wall monument in chancel to Lewis Watkin, Baron Sondes, d.1836. White marble on black background with draped sarcophagus and scalpped achievement, signed Longley, Canterbury. Late C19 ogee headed wall niche to Munn family in south chapel. Brasses: Sir Richard atteLees d.1394 (and Lady Dionisia). Knight and Lady under double canopy. Large figures (43") in large composition with inscribed surround in north chapel. John and Isabel Cely d.1426. Knight and Lady, 32", he with winged hand in benediction behind his head. Joan Mareys, d.1431. Foot long half-figure rising from shroud, and holding a large heart. Stained glass: Thomas Willement, c.1850 in the north aisle, c.1856 in the south aisle. (See B.U.E. Kent II, 1983, 459-460; Igglesden vol.22.)

Listing NGR: TR0106356852

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1947)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 459-460

National Grid Reference: TR 01133 56863

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:26:12.