List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OWLETTS

List entry Number: 1049097

Location

OWLETTS, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentGraveshamDistrict AuthorityCobham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356759

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 66 NE COBHAM THE STREET 5/30 (north side)

27.8.52 Owletts

II*

Built in 1683/4 by Bonham Hayes. Red brick, moulded brick string course. Panelled parapet added C18. Steeply pitched hipped tiled roof. Narrow end bays project to form closets. Slight central projection. Seven sash windows and 3 dormers. Modern porch with re-set panelled door. Engaged Doric columns, pediment and semi-circular fanlight. Two steps with wrought iron handrails. Two massive panelled chimney stacks dated 1683. Lead downpipes with heads inscribed G.G.1754. Three sash windows and 2 dormers to east and west facades. Large modern single-storey bay to east. Central projection to north facade marking staircase with 2 tall "croise" windows with leaded lights and 3 ox eye windows above. Two projections added by Sir Herbert Baker in 1925 and C19 wing added at north-west corner. Internally fine staircase and plaster ceiling, bolection mouldings to fireplaces and panelling dated from 1684. In 1894 the house passed to the Edmeades family of Nurstead then by marriage to the Baker family until in 1938 Sir Herbert Baker who lived there gave it to the National Trust.

Listing NGR: TQ6651068734

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 66510 68734

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 03:15:34.