List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY AT EASNEYE DAIRY FARM 470 METRES NORTH EAST OF MANSION

List entry Number: 1049049

Location

FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED DAIRY AT EASNEYE DAIRY FARM 470 METRES NORTH EAST OF MANSION, HOLLYCROSS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityStanstead Abbots

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355921

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS HOLLYCROSS ROAD (east side) 5/18 Farmhouse and attached Dairy at Easneye Dairy Farm 470 metres NE of mansion

GV II Farmhouse and attached ornamental dairy. Circa. 1868 by Waterhouse for T F Buxton of Easneye. Red brick with diapering of black headers. Tilehung upper floor of farmhouse. Steep red tile roofs. T-plan 2-storeys farmhouse with single storey rear range linking to a tall single-storey octagonal buttressed ornamental dairy at NE. Entrance to both through a recessed logia on the N with blind pointed arcading on rear wall and 3-bay arched braced timber front under an extension of the tiled roof. Farmhouse jettied on N on moulded brick corbells with moulded bressumer and bargeboard to gable over. Small wooden casements under segmental arches. Cusped tilehanging in apex of gable. Clustered octagonal shafts to tall central chimney. The design is similar to Waterhouses's Double Lodge for Easneye of 1866 (q.v.). Dairy has 3-light chamfered brick traceried windows with leaded glazing in cathedral glass under a single equilatereral arch on 4 front faces. Diagonal buttresses with tumbled brick offsets, moulded plinth and string course and corbelled ornamental eaves courses, supporting a cast iron gutter trough. Finial and 4 small gabled vents. Interior of dairy vaulted with stone ribs rising from corbels and red and black brick panels below a moulded string at high sill level blue tiling with impressed Gothic geometric pattern down to white marble bench all round supported on chamfered timber brackets with cooling pipes under. Deep ornamental band at top of tiling of oxblood slips and white on blue flower scroll with frieze of lobed geometric pattern tiles in blue. Encaustic tile pattern floor, mainly red with black net and buff junctions. Border of diamond set black tiles on white ground with red and buff bands each side. An impressive picturesque group. The ornamental dairy is of exceptional interest.

Listing NGR: TL3836213813

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 38362 13813

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 11:23:34.