List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1048820

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityLittle Coxwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250554

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. LITTLE COXWELL SU 29 SE 2/8 21.11.66 Church of St Mary

II*

2. Transitional with Early English and Perpendicular alterations and an extensive late C19 restoration. Rubble stone and roughcast with stone dressings, gabled stone tiled roof and dressed stone copings. 2 bay nave, 2 bay chancel, double bellcote between nave and chancel, S porch and N vestry. S side of nave has a pointed headed window of 2 cusped lights and a Perpendicular 3 cusped light window under a flat head with carved label heads - one with a sugar bag hat. Nave N side has a C19 2 cusped light window. The gabled bellcote is C13 with 2 pointed openings and a quatrefoil above with a sundial on its S face. S side of chancel has a Perp. window of 2 tiers of 4 cusped lights with a transom between under a flat head with shield labels, a plainly moulded Transitional priest's door and one 2 cusped light C19 window. C19 Decorated style 3 light window to the E and a similar C19 W window with a quatrefoil in a roundel above. Perp. S porch with a gabled stone tiled roof and a four-centred arch with dripstone and label heads enclosing a studded plank and batten C19 door. Transitional S doorway with slim colonettes, plain moulded capitals and an arch of two orders, the inner a plain roll moulding, the outer of billet. 2 celled aiseless interior with a C19 W gallery fronted by reused sections of a c14 screen and an open rafter roof with tie beams and cusped braces. Transitional ogee-headed chancel arch on plain stopped and chamfered jambs and on the chancel S wall a trefoil-headed piscina. On either side of the E window are 2 cusped headed niches - one presumably a blocked Early English window. Good 1896 stained glass E window depicting the crucifixion by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Fine brass 'spider' chandelier dated 1729, wrought iron hour-glass stand by pulpit and Royal Arms above chancel arch.

Listing NGR: SU2819093534

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 28190 93534

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:13:53.