List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1048718

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityKingston Lisle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250718

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON LISLE SU38NW 6/88 Church of St. John the Baptist 21/11/66 (Formerly listed as Church of St. John)

GV II*

Parish church. Chancel c.1200, early C19 vestry; nave c.1200; bell turret and porch c.1883. Rendered walls, except chalk and sarsen coursed rubble to vestry, limestone dressings, slate roof. East window with reticulated tracery; 2-bay chancel with one-and 2-light early C14 windows with reticulated tracery and one - light lancets of c.1200. Early C19 vestry with double flue chimney stack to north has plank door with shouldered arch and 3-light windows with cinquefoiled heads and label mould over. Nave has one lancet of c.1200 and two 2-light early C19 windows with segmental heads to south wall: north wall has one 2- light and one 3-light mid C17 stone-mullioned window; late C19 timber porch on stone base; north door c.1200 has dog tooth ornament to semi-circular arch, engaged columns to jambs, and studded door with decorative iron hinges of c.1200. At west end is timber bell-turret with spirelet, c.1883. Interior: chancel has some C14 stained glass in south window. C14 wall paintings around east and north windows depict figures of St. Peter and St. Paul on a ground diapered with sexfoil flowers, large figures of the saints; Herod's Feast with Salome dancing,decollation of the Baptist below, the Baptist's head on head of Christ with a cruciform nimbus and Herod with Salome bearing a charger; mid C17 panelling behind altar, mid C17 balustraded altar rail, mid C17 two-bay roof with moulded bridging beam and rafters. Mid C17 chancel screen. Nave: mid C17 pulpit has carved tester with richly panelled support, and each face bearing carved escutcheon; plain font of c.1200; late C19 benches have C15 bench ends with traceried heads and arms, instruments of the passion etc. 4-bay, mainly C17, roof with carved king post. [Buildings of England, Berkshire, p.161.1 ]

Listing NGR: SU3261887622

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 161

National Grid Reference: SU 32618 87622

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:33:53.