List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1048616

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityLongworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250971

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONGWORTH CHURCH LANE SU39NE (North side) 3/141 Church of St. Mary 21/11/66 GV I

Church. Early C13; nave remodelled in late C13. early C15 chancel, west tower and north aisle. Roughcast, limestone ashlar dressings; lead roof, stone slate roof to chancel and adjoining north chapel. Aisled nave with south porch, chancel and west tower. Early C15 three-light east window. South wall of chancel has, from right to left, early C15 three-light square-headed window, offset buttress, C17 segmental-arched chamfered doorway, late C18 wall tablet and similar early C15 two-light square headed window. North chapel, continued from aisle, has 2 offset buttresses and C17 three-light cavetto-moulded mullioned window. North wall of nave has C17 one- and two-light stone mullioned windows to C15 clerestorey; buttressed aisle has C17 segmental-arched chamfered doorway flanked by early C15 two-light square and trefoil-headed window and early C16 square- and round-headed window; C15 one-light trefoil-headed window in west wall. South wall of nave has two similar early C15 clerestory windows, crenellated parapet to south aisle and porch; porch has late C13 pointed double-chamfered doorway with late C18 double-leaf doors; chamfered pointed arch to south doorway with ancient plank door. Porch flanked by late C13 two-light window and early C15 two-light square-headed window to left. C15 west tower has offset corner buttresses, early C15 three-light west window and two-light square headed windows to top third level; crenellated parapet with gargoyles to spouts. Interior: stained glass east window by Heywood Summer and painted reredos with beaten metal frame by Kate Bunce and sister, are both c.1900 in Arts and Crafts style; altar and panelled dado also c.1900. Trefoil-headed piscina, early C18 altar rail. Brasses reset in wall to Richard Yale and wife d.1498, John Hinde, rector d.1422, and Eleanor Goodowhyn d.1566. Chamfered and cavetto-moulded C15 arch to north aisle. Double-chamfered early C15 chancel arch; early C17 screen, arcaded with long columns and strapwork top. Nave has early C17 pulpit with carved frieze and arcaded panels, late C13 circular font, pedimented mid C18 wall tablet and C17 four-bay king post roof. Late C13 four-bay south arcade; hood moulds with face mask terminals to double-chamfered arches on round piers and abaci. 3-bay north arcade with 2 early C13 chamfered arches on corbels to east and late C13 arch, similar to south arcade to west. Early C15 pointed arch with casement moulding beneath west tower, the side arches resting on engaged columns with Perpendicular capitals and bases. North aisle has 4 wall tablet, including marble tablet by Westmancott for William Bowles d.1801, depicting seated young man and two grieving women; C17 lean-to roof; steps to west tower. South aisle has piscina, C13 circular font and C17 lean-to roof. On sill of west window are late C16 coloured marble tomb fragments. Moulded pointed arch to one-bay early C15 north chapel, which has wall tablet to Henry Marten, 1641. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.171-2).

Listing NGR: SU3839999468

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975 - Page References: 171-172

National Grid Reference: SU 38405 99468

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 01:25:43.