List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List entry Number: 1048607

Location

CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityStanford in the Vale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251053

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANFORD-IN-THE-VALE CHURCH GREEN SU3493 (West side) 9/223 Church of St. Denys 21/11/66 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Dennis)

GV I

Church. Late C12, west tower, north aisle and north porch added in the late C13/early C14, south porch and clerestory added in early C15. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings; lead roof; stone slate roof to north porch. Nave and chancel, north aisle continued as vestry, north and south porches, west tower. Early C14 four-light east window of Kentish tracery; south wall of chancel has two early C14 two-light windows, one early C14 three-light window of Kentish tracery and a scratch dial; similar 2-light window in north wall adjoins early C14 priest's doorway with pointed arch and moulded architrave. The north aisle adjoins the priest's door and extends the full length of the nave; east of the porch is one early C14 two-light window with carved heads to label mould terminals and two early C14 2-light windows and one 3-light window much restored in late C19; west of the porch is one early C14 two-light window with restored right jamb and in the west wall a late C13 stepped 3-light window. North doorway of c.1300 has pointed arch with moulded architrave and stiff-leaf capitals; late C18 plank door. Early C14 gabled porch has pointed arch with chamfered architrave to doorway and 2-light windows in each side wall. South wall of nave has two early C14 one-light windows and two early C14 two-light windows, the top of the east window having been blocked in the late C19; over the porch is an early C15 four-light flat-headed window. Late C12 architrave and scalloped capitals to engaged columns; C18 plank door. Early C15 porch with crenellated parapet, two-light windows with label moulds in side walls and a four-centred arch with moulded architrave and carved heads to label mould terminals. Early C15 clerestory with three 3-light mullioned and double chamfered windows; early C15 crenellated parapet. West tower is of three stages: offset corner buttresses rise to the top of the first stage with late C13 one-light windows; late C13 second storey with two-light windows is separated from early C14 third storey by original corbel table; third storey has early C14 two-light windows with crenellated parapet and gargoyles. Gabled roofs, lean-to roof over north aisle; the steeply pitched north porch stands clear of the north aisle. Fleur-de-lys surmounts nave parapet. Interior: Late C19 stained glass, including some reset C14 glass in chancel; C18/C19 ledger stones on chancel floor, three C17 ledger stones in south-east corner especially to John Heigham, d.1623; in north-east corner is brass to Roger Campdene, rector, d.1398; mid C18 wall tablet. 2 early C17 carved doors to aumbry in north wall and early C14 piscina and Decorated style pyx canopy in south wall. Late C13 doorway to vestry and late C13 squint to north aisle. Late C15 three-bay chancel roof with moulded beams and joists is arch-braced to corbels. Late C13 chancel arch. Nave has C18 ledger stones in floor and a richly carved 5-sided Jacobean pulpit set on a late C19 base; late C19 benches; late C19 stained glass except east and west windows of south wall and the west window have some C14 reset glass. Nave has C17 seven-bay king post roof, arch braced with traceried spandrels to original C13 corbels. Late C13 triple chamfered arch to west tower; late C13 three-bay arcade, with double-chamfered arches dying into octagonal piers, to the north aisle. North aisle has richly carved Jacobean font with cover; doorway with splayed and pointed arch to rood loft stairs; late C19 lean-to roof. Three C13 stone coffin lids in porch. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.226-7; H.T. Morley, Monumental Brasses of Berkshire 1924, p.197; J.J. Penstone, A Visit to the Village Church of Stanford-in-the-Vale, whilst undergoing restoration, in A.J. Dunkin, (ed). Monumenta Anglicana; Stanford in the Vale (c.1851), pp.X-XXVIII; Berks, Bucks, and Oxon Archaelogical Journal, Vol.II, No.4, January 1897, p.122, V.C.H.: Berkshire, Val.IV, pp.483-4).

Listing NGR: SU3419093467

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 483-484
Morley, HT , Monumental Brasses of Berkshire, (1924), 197
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 226-227
'Berkshire Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal' in January, (1897)
'Monumenta Anglicana' in Monumenta Anglicana, (1851), 10-28

National Grid Reference: SU 34196 93468

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:34:24.