List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1048593

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityEast Challow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251118

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST CHALLOW MAIN STREET SU38NE (East side) 2/24 Church of St. Nicholas 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. Mid/late C13, restored and west front rebuilt 1858; south tower rebuilt 1884. Uncoursed limestone rubble, partly rendered to north and repointed; limestone ashlar quoins and dressings; stone slate roof. Nave and chancel with south aisle. Mid C19 three-light east window with Kentish tracery; north side of chancel has late C13 two-light window with mid C19 cusped heads and C15 two-light square-headed window; south side of chancel has mid C19 two-light window in late C13 style. South vestry, aisle, and late C19 two-storey tower to west with crenellated parapet, have one-light windows with cusped heads and buttresses. Mid C19 clerestorey windows. North side of nave has similar mid C19 one-light window, late C15/early C16 three-light arch-headed window, C13 one-light window, mid C19 two-light window to west and offset buttresses. West gable has mid C19 three-light French Gothic window over pointed moulded doorway to plank door with decorative iron hinges, and C13 stoup to south. Moulded kneelers to gabled roof. Interior: Chancel has aid C19 roof, late C13 pointed moulded blocked doorway to vestry. Late C13 double-chamfered chancel arch on engaged columns with bell capitals; 3-bay oak screen of 1905 with traceried heads. Nave has mid C19 roof and mid C19 pulpit and tester, C13 circular font and late C13 three-bay south arcade with double-chamfered arches and additional mid C19 west bay. South aisle has mid C19 roof and arches to east and west. Stained glass: Late C19 and C20; C15 stained glass in late C15/early C16 window in north wall of nave. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p,131; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.226).

Listing NGR: SU3807888253

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 131
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Page References: 226

National Grid Reference: SU 38078 88253

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 04:24:43.