List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1048582

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityDenchworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251095

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DENCHWORTH SU39SE 1/1 Church of St. James 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. Late C12, remodelled in mid/late C13, with early C14 south transept, and late C15/early C16 north transept; refenestrated and parapet added in late C15/early C16. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble; stone slate chancel and porch roofs, and sheet metal roof. Cruciform plan with north-west tower. East gable with C15 offset angle buttresses has early C14 three-light window; south wall of chancel has offset buttress, C15 four-centred cavetto-moulded doorway to C19 plank door and two C15 two-light square-headed windows; north wall of chancel has C16 vestry and chapel, extending into nave, with offset buttresses and early C16 two-light square-headed windows. North wall of nave has C15 one-light square-headed window. South transept has late C15/early Cib two-light square-headed windows and adjoins mid C19 gabled porch with pointed chamfered doorway. Stoup adjoins late C12 round-headed doorway with chamfered jambs, moulded imposts and billetted arch; offset buttress and C15 two-light square-headed window to left. Mid/late C13 three-light west window, flanked by offset buttresses. Gabled roofs; nave and chancel have C15 moulded parapets. North-west tower has offset angle buttresses, one-light slit window below string course and C15 two-light square-headed windows with stone slate louvres, and cavetto moulding to parapet. Interior: Chancel has mid/late C19 decorative tile floor and piscina; wall brasses to William Hyde, d. 1557, his wife and many children, and Oliver Hyde, d.1516, and his wife; C17 two-bay moulded tie-beam roof; C15 chancel arch. Early C14 arch with sunk-quadrant mouldings to south transept, which has 5 fine decorative wall tablets to the Geering family, 1690 to C18, one to Martha Frogley, d.1792, and floor tablet to Joan Geering, d.1717; 2-bay roof much restored in C19. Mid/late C13 arch on responds to north chapel, which has C17 lean-to roof much restored in C19, late C19 screen with linenfold panelling,and squint to chancel. Nave has Perpendicular style pulpit by A.B. Allin, 1889, and late C19 octagonal font; C17 three-bay roof restored in C19; stoup adjoins door. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.126-7; VCH: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.227. Kelly's Directory, 1898. p.58.)

Listing NGR: SU3810891714

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 227
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 126-127
'Kellys Directory' in Berkshire, (1898), 58

National Grid Reference: SU 38108 91714

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 01:26:51.