List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1048567

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityWantage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WANTAGE CHURCH STREET SU3987NE (North side) 9/59 Church of St. Peter and St. 22/04/50 Paul

GV I

Church. Late C13 cruciform plan with tower; chancel extended in C15; C15 chapels and aisles; restored by G.E. Street 1857 and extended one bay to west in 1877 by W. Butterfield. Coursed and random limestone rubble; limestone ashlar to C15 north and south chapels; sheet metal roof, stone slates to transepts. Cruciform plan with tower over crossing. Geometrical style east window by G.E. Street, c.1857; offset corner buttresses; south wall of chancel has C15 four-centred moulded blocked doorway, offset buttress and C15 three-light window, also to north wall. G.E. Street heightened chancel and inserted late C13 style clerestory windows. North chapel of chancel has C15 offset buttresses, one C15 two-light and two C15 three-light square-headed windows and mid C19 inserted pointed roll-moulded doorway. Similar windows without label moulds and with gargoyles to parapet of south chapel. South transept has pointed moulded doorway of c.1877, offset buttresses, left angle buttress having mid C18 wall tablet; C13 lancet in west wall, 4-light late C13 style south window of c.1857; chapel to east has one C15 two-light and one C15 three-light window, parapet continued through to south chapel. North transpet has offset corner buttresses, hood moulds over C15 three-light north window and two-light east window. North wall of nave has pointed arches over two C15 four-light windows; C15 sacristy has quatrefoil window and chamfered 4-centred window to east, label mould over mid C19 three-light north window in C15 style, and,one-light window adjoining C15 chamfered square-headed west doorway. South wall of nave has similar aisle and clerestory windows and C18 wall tablet to east. C15 porch removed from original central position to west end by Butterfield, 1877; reset C15 south doorway with carved leaf spandrels and C15 ribbed door. West wall of nave rebuilt in 1877 by Butterfield, has C15 style 4-light windows to aisles, offset buttresses and 2 reset late C13 two-light transomed windows. Tower over crossing has late C13 two-light windows, polygonal stair-turret to south-west and corbel table to crenellated parapet. Gabled roof, except lean-to aisle and chapel roofs. Interior: Chancel has fine reredos, Minton tile floor, altar rail and benches of c.1857. Late C14 stalls with bench-end and misericord carvings. Alabaster effigy of Sir William Fitzwarin, d.1361, and his wife to north, formerly with canopy. C13 piscina, wall monument to William Wilmot, d.1684, and signed by William Bird of Oxford. North wall has four-centred moulded doorway with C15 ribbed door, and aedicule with scrolled pediment framing wall tablet with date 1621 above. 6-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof of c.1857 above clerestory inserted by Street. C15 two-bay arcade and C15 screen and door with one-light cinquefoil-headed divisions to south chapel, which has two C15 piscinas, early C19 and C18 wall tablets. Late C13 two-bay arcade and screen of c.1857 to south transept, which has mid C19 pews and late C14 four-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof with carved bosses, collar purl in and cornices. North wall of chancel has C15 two-bay arcade and C15 screen and door, with one-light cinquefoil-headed division to north chapel which has wall brasses to William Willmott, d.1621 and to a priest c.1330; C15 lean-to roof; C13 south respond with stiff-leaf capitals and C15 two-bay arcade to north transept. North transept wall brasses to Sir Ives Fitzwarin, 1414, and of C15 priest, and wall tablets to John Stevens, d.1750 and Edward Moulden, d.1744; similar 4-bay roof as to south transept. Crossing has late C13 triple-chamfered arches on clustered columns. Nave has mid C19 pews. Pulpit of 1857, possibly by G.E. Street, mid C19 pews and "splendid" (Pevsner) chandelier dated 1711; late C13 four-bay arcade extended one bay to west c.1857; C15 nine-bay hammerbeam roof on carved corbels extended to west (by 2 bays) c.1857. North aisle has C15 piscina. South aisle has octagonal font with cover possibly hy Street, wall tablets to John Watson, d. 1784, and John Stamp, d.1729, and his wife, by John Townsend Jun; mid C19 lean-to roof; brass to Walter Talbot d.1522, and 2 wives. Mid/late C19 stained glass: C15 St. Stephen in west lancet window of south transept, and heraldic shields. South chapel of chancel given as a chantry in mid C15 by the Trades Guilds of Wantage and restored in late C19 in memory of Rev. W.J. Butler. North chapel of chancel was chantry chapel of the Fitzwarin family. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.252-3; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.326-7; Kathleen Philip, Victorian Wantage, 1968, pp.65-70; A Gibbons, E.C. Davey, Wantage Past and Present, 1901, pp.106-136).

Listing NGR: SU3968787913

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 326-327
Gibbons, A, Davey, E C , Wantage Past and Present, (1901), 106-136
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 252-253
Philip, K, Victorian Wantage, (1968), 65-70

National Grid Reference: SU 39690 87912

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 06:51:49.