List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL ATTACHED TO ST MARY'S CONVENT

List entry Number: 1048564

Location

CHAPEL ATTACHED TO ST MARY'S CONVENT, CHALLOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityWantage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251145

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WANTAGE CHALLOW ROAD SU3988 (North side) 6/50 Chapel attached to St. Mary's 03/12/69 Convent (Formerly listed as St. Mary's Convent)

GV II

Chapel. 1887, by J. L. Pearson.c.1900 chapel was lengthened beyond screen, and vestries, Priest's Room, Song Room and Library were built; end rebuilt by Sir John Ninian Comper, 1923. Coursed and dressed limestone, with ashlar dressings; old tile roof. Geometrical style. East window of 3 stepped lancets; 2- and 3-light Geometrical style windows to side walls, also with lancet windows to anciliary buildings; 5-light Geometrical style west window. North-west Geometrical style spire. Gabled roof; lead ridge spirelet. Interior: Fittings include Decorated-style sedilia and carved chancel stalls. East end by Comper, 1923, has 4 gilded columns to Baldacchino flanked by 3 small vaults. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp. 253-4)

Listing NGR: SU3931588240

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 253-254

National Grid Reference: SU 39315 88240

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 10:44:11.