List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1048354

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityMarcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249639

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARCHAM CHURCH STREET SU4596 (East side) 18/141 Church of All Saints 09/02/66

GV II*

Church. Early C13 and C15: rebuilt, except tower, by William Fisher of Oxford in 1837. Coursed dressed limestone with ashlar dressings, except tower which is of uncoursed limestone rubble. Gabled stone slate chancel roof, and Welsh slate nave roof. Chancel with north chapel, wide nave and west tower. 1:5:1 bays. Early English and Perpendicular styles: remodelled in Perpendicular Revival style. Double-gabled east wall of chancel has 3-light Curvilinear-style window to left of early C13 stepped three-light lancet window. Each side wall of chancel has chamfered lancet and pointed doorway. Crenellated nave has label moulds over 2-light and central 3-light Perpendicular-style transomed windows to north: similar 3-light windows flank gabled south porch: very fine late C14/early C15 south doorway is cinquefoil-headed with independent leaf decoration in casement-moulded architrave. Early C13 three-stage west tower has original corner buttresses, one-light bell openings, slit lights and west lancet: unusual early C13 ashlar stair turret in north-east corner has slit lights and quatrefoil panel in gable top. Interior: jamb shafts with bell capitals to east window of north chapel. Early C13 archway between chancel and north chapel has chamfered arch set on half-piers with ball flower capitals. Bench in north chapel has C16 linenfold-carved bench end: chancel has C19 wall tablets, and late C18 obelisk wall tablet to John Barnes, d.1782. Twin chancel and north chapel arches to nave: communion rail, pews and altar at east end. Early C19 pulpit, and reading desk of c.1907. Pews have C16 bench ends with linenfold carving. Tall early C19 pedimented wall tablet to Aldworth family, mid C19 stele tablets (one in porch), and Cothick wall tablet to Thomas Prince, d.1823: wall tablet at west end to Thomas Hayward, d.1692. Wall brass east of door to Edmund Fettiplace, d.1540, and wife: depicts them both kneeling at prayer with their children. Tub-shaped stepped font is probably C13. Perpendicular-style 8-bay roof supported on head corbels. Early C15 triple hollow-chamfered archway to west tower room, which has quadripartite vault with hollow-chamfered ribs on head corbels. J.C. Buckler drew interior details and the church exterior (mainly C15) in 1819. (Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks. C.50, Nos.106-8; Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.176-177; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.358-9; Victoria and Albert Museum, South Kensington, London has drawings in box A-170, D.1784-7; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 1978, p.308).

Listing NGR: SU4520496814

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 308
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 358-9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 176-177

National Grid Reference: SU 45204 96814

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 07:56:13.