List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WELL HOUSE,APPROXIMATELY 160 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE FOLD

List entry Number: 1048315

Location

WELL HOUSE,APPROXIMATELY 160 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE FOLD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityNorth Hinksey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249742

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH HINKSEY SP4905 11/67 Well House, approx. 160m SE of 09/02/66 The Fold (Formerly listed as Well House (part of the Fold)) - II* Well house. Built 1610 for Otho Nicholson. Limestone ashlar with C20 repairs; gabled C20 stone slate roof. One storey; 3-bay range. Moulded plinth course. Side walls each have 2 gabled buttresses. Front gable end has heraldic cartouche and 2-light vent abouve round-headed doorway: similar vent in rear gable wall. Cyma-kneelers to stone-coped gable ends. Interior not inspected. The springs on the hillside here supplied Oseney Abbey and the Friars Preachers of Oxford: the Well House was part of Otho Nicholson's scheme to bring this spring-water direct to "Carfax Conduit" in the centre of Oxford. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.186; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.406).

Listing NGR: SP4952405048

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 186
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 406

National Grid Reference: SP 49524 05048

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:49:04.