List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1048297

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, ST LAWRENCE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthoritySouth Hinksey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249798

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP50SW 7/121

SOUTH HINKSEY ST. LAWRENCE ROAD (West side) Church of St. Lawrence (Formerly listed as: St. Lawrence's Church)

09/02/66

GV II*

Church. Early/mid C13: late C15 tower: chancel rebuilt in late C18. Uncoursed limestone rubble, coursed to chancel: tower of dressed limestone. Stone-coped gabled stone slate roof. Chancel, nave and west tower. One-bay late C18 chancel has round-arched leaded windows with raised key- and impost-blocks. 3-bay south wall of nave has C13 pointed lancets (one with scratch dial) and paired lancet with late C19 head and mullion: north wall of nave has early C14 two-light ogee-headed window, late C19 timber and glazed porch and C17 chamfered round-arched doorway. Tower: revealed 2-light cinquefoil-headed window above plain chamfered 4-centred doorway to ancient studded door, cemented at base: 2-light round-arched belfry windows: stair-turret with slit light to north side. Interior: C13 chamfered 2-centred chancel arch. Medieval rood stairs in south-east corner of nave: squint from former rood-loft to altar above chancel arch. 3 arches over double piscina with quatrefoil basins. C13 tub font. Hollow-chamfered archway with moulded imposts to tower. Rood screen built in 1932, pulpit in 1936 and nave roof in 1959. Plain mid C19 and C20 wall tablets in chancel: floor tablet to Jane Willis, d.1723, in nave floor. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.222; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.409).

Listing NGR: SP5097303969

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 222
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Page References: 409

National Grid Reference: SP 50973 03969

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:59:23.