List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILTON MANOR COTTAGE AND MILTON MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1048220

Location

MILTON MANOR COTTAGE, HIGH STREET
MILTON MANOR HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityMilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250020

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MILTON HIGH STREET SU4892 (West side) 8/157 Milton Manor House and Milton 08/08/52 Manor Cottage

GV I Manor house, with attached kitchen and brewhouse range, part converted to dwelling. c.1670, for Paul Calton Senior; with wings, kitchen and brewhouse range added c.1776 by Stephen Wright for Bryant Barrett. Red brick; rendered quoins and pilasters; C20 plain-tile hipped roof to centre block; slate hipped roofs to wings. Basement, 3-storey, 5-window range to centre with 2-storey, 3-bay wings to left and right. Centre block; 4-pane windows to basement. Flight of steps with wrought-iron balustrade to ground floor centre approaching sash door with fanlight and wood boric pilaster surround with open pediment above. Doric rendered pilasters between bays to ground floor. 12-pane unhorned sashes to ground floor with flat brick arches. Stone cornice between ground and first floors. Composite giant-order pilasters between bays to first and second floors, with fleur-de-lys medallions at first floor level. 12-pane unhorned sashes to first floor with stone floating cornices. 9-pane unhorned sashes to second floor with flat brick arches, Rendered dentil cornice to eaves, Wings to left and right have wider central bays, with 12-pane unhorned sashes to ground and first floors of central bays. Round-headed recesses to ground floors of flanking bays. Round-headed niches to first floors of flanking bays. Doric rendered pilasters between bays to ground and first floors. Stone dentil cornice and plain parapet to eaves. Rear: identical to front, except angled bays to ends of wings with sash windows to angles and plain brick to cardinal fronts. Interior: cantilever wood open-well staircase from basement to attic at rear of main block. C17 richly carved wood fireplace surround to Hall. Mid C17 plaster ceiling, to Drawing Room of compartments and oval panels with oak and bay-leaf decoration in John Webb-style. 0vermantel to fireplace from Gunnersbury Park. Dining Room redecorated far Bryant Barrett, with fielded panelling, and having 2 serving alcoves. Chinese wall paper to Chinese bedroom and dressing room to first floor of main block. South wing contains Strawberry-Hill-Gothick Library and Roman Catholic chapel. Library has ogee-headed book cases and fireplace surround. Chapel has "gothick" strapwork to walls and roved ceiling with pendant bosses, C14 English stained glass from Steventon Church, and C17 and C18 Flemish stained glass. Attached kitchen and brewhouse range. Red brick; old plain-tile hipped roof; brick ridge stacks to left and right of centre. Single storey and attic; 9-bay range. 1:7:1. 7-bay arcade to centre with doors and casements to rear. End bays have thermal windows to round-arched recesses. Six C20 flat-roofed dormers. Interior not inspected but noted as retaining many original features. History; built by the Calton family. William III is reputed to have stayed at Milton on 11th December 1688, while his troops were quartered at Abingdon. Tsar Peter the Great is also reputed to have stayed to discuss naval matters with Admiral Benbow. Bryant Barrett bought the house on 5th October 1764, for £10,000 and began a programme of extension and improvements. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p178-9; Milton Manor House. Oxfordshire by S. Mockler, undated; The Manor House, Milton, Berkshire by A. Oswald, in Country Life, 1948, December 17, p1274-1277; and December 24, p1330-1333)

Listing NGR: SU4841392385

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mockler, S, Milton Manor Oxfordshire
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 178-9
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1948), 1274-1277
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1948), 1330-1333

National Grid Reference: SU4841392385

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 07:59:50.