List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CRUCK BARN APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES EAST OF BAYLLOLS MANOR

List entry Number: 1048206

Location

CRUCK BARN APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES EAST OF BAYLLOLS MANOR, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityHarwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249983

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31/08/2012

SU4989 9/120 24/11/66

HARWELL HIGH STREET (West side) Cruck barn approx. 40 metres E of Bayllols Manor

(Formerly listed as Cruck barn approx. 40 metres E of King's Manor)

(Formerly listed as: Barn on south side of Talbot's Lane at Middle Farm)

GV II*

Barn. c.1365 with later alterations. Coursed stone rubble plinth with red brick to top; weatherboarding on timber-framing; old plain-tile roof, half-hipped to right. 4-bay range, probably truncated from 6-bay range. Plank double doors to left and opposing plank double doors to rear. Interior: 4 bays of arch-braced base cruck construction with 2 rows of windbraces. History: the farmstead was owned by the Bayllol (or Baillol) family from c.1200-1350. The Brounz family owned it from c.1350-1484, The far&stead was bought by William Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester in 1484. (Crucks in the West Berkshire and Oxford Region, by J. Fletcher in Oxoniensia, Vol 33, 1968, p71-88); Three Medieval Farmhouses in Harwell, by J.M. Fletcher in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol 62, 1965, p45-69)

Listing NGR: SU4923689372

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Berkshire Archaeological Journal - Date: 1966 - Journal Title: Berkshire Archaeological Journal - Volume: 62 - Page References: 45-69
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Oxoniensia - Date: 1968 - Journal Title: Oxoniensia - Volume: 33 - Page References: 71-88

National Grid Reference: SU 49236 89372

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 11:04:02.