List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1048189

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityArdington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARDINGTON CHURCH STREET SU4388 (South side) 17/7 Church of The Holy Trinity 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. C12 nave; C13 chancel, side chapels, and north tower; C14 north porch; C19 restoration of 2 stages: tower refaced and spire added by Joseph Clarke c.1856; nave lengthened, south aisle and north chapel rebuilt, and chancel decorated by Somers Clarke c.1887. Roughcast to nave and chancel, probably on coursed squared stone; coursed squared stone to north chapel and tower; stone slate roof. 4-bay nave with south aisle chancel with side chapels, and north tower plan. North side: gabled porch to left of nave with plank double outer doors to 2-centre archway. Romanesque doorway with studded plank door to church. Romanesque lancet to centre of nave. Y-tracery window to right of nave. C19 lancets and 2-centre arched doorway with plank door to north chapel. 2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to chancel. West window; 4-light intersecting tracery. East window: 3-light rectilinear tracery. South side: C19 paired lancets, except C19 four-light stone mullion and transom window to right of aisle and possibly reset Y-tracery window to right of centre of aisle. Tower: 2-light reticulated tracery window to north face of tower; broach spire. Interior: C19 arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel with 2 rows of windbraces. C19 wood reredos with triptych. Walls and roof of chancel have C19 stencil decoration. C19 choir stalls and organ case. 2-centred chancel arch of 3 orders on columns. C19 screen to chancel with wrought-iron gates. Nave: 8-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof. C17 hexagonal wood pulpit to left of chancel arch. South aisle arcade of four 2-centre arches. Basket-arch to south aisle chapel on corbels, that to right having green-man carving. Monument in nave of kneelinq female figure in marble by E.H. Baily. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, pp66-7; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, pp270-1)

Listing NGR: SU4315688319

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 270-1
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 66-7

National Grid Reference: SU 43156 88319

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 10:48:28.