List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY

List entry Number: 1048169

Location

CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF CANTERBURY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityEast Hendred

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250098

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST HENDRED CHURCH STREET SU4588 (North side) 19/60 Church of St. Augustine of 24/11/66 Canterbury (Formerly listed as Church of St. Augustine)

GV II*

Church. C12 origins; C14 north aisle, north transept, and chancel; C15 tower, south chapel and outer south aisle of 2 bays; restoration and re-modelling c.1860 by H. Woodyer including removal of south porch, south aisle extended and clerestory remodelled. Stone ashlar to tower; uncoursed stone rubble plinth to south aisle; render, probably on stone rubble to left; coursed stone rubble to right; flint and stone in random chequer to south chapel; lead roof to aisles; C20 plain-tile roof to nave; stone slate roof to chancel; roof of tower not visible. 3-bay chancel with side chapels, 4-bay aisled nave, and west tower. C19 plank door to left of south aisle with mid C19 surround. C19 geometrical tracery windows to south aisle. Two 3-light flat-headed Perpendicular tracery windows to south chapel, and to east end of chapel. C19 trefoils to clerestory. C19 geometrical tracery windows to east end of chancel and vestry. North side: C15 two-light reticulated tracery windows to north aisle. C15 three-light reticulated tracery window to north transept. C19 trefoils to clerestory. C19 fenestration to vestry. West tower of 3 stages: double plank doors to 4-centre arched doorway with plain spandrels and hood mould to west face of tower. 4-light rectilinear tracery window with hood-mould above. 2-light reticulated tracery louvred opening to each face of upper stage of tower. Open quatrefoil balustrade to top of tower, with corner finials. Interior: braced collar-truss roof to chancel, part panelled. C19 reredos, piscina and sedilia. South chapel: 2-bay Perpendicular roof. Some medieval glass fragments, including armorial bearings, to windows. Chancel screen of c.1860. C15 wood screen to south chapel. Octagonal wood pulpit and sounding board of c.1660 to left of chancel screen. C19 recut nave arcades of four 2-centred arches on columns. 2 centred arch to tower. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p133; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, p.300-301)

Listing NGR: SU4593188614

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975 - Page References: 133
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 300-1

National Grid Reference: SU 45931 88614

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 02:47:34.