List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1047686

Location

MANOR HOUSE, SOUTHEND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityGarsington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246442

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SF 5801 GARSINGTON SOUTHEND (West side) 11/54 Manor House 18/07/63 GV II* Manor House. Early C17, possibly earlier, re-modelled late C17 probably for the Wickham family. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile roof and stone stacks with brick shafts. Double-pile plan. 2 storeys plus attics. Main range has symmetrical 7-window front (north). Central round-headed doorway with moulded architrave and plain key-block under wooden segmental hood supported on consoles has, each side, windows of 2, 3 and 2 leaded lights, all with concave-chamfered mullions and 4-centre arched heads, linked by a continuous label; similar arrangement above with central single-light window and no label; 3 rendered gabled roof-dormers with 3-light wooden casements. Roof rises from a stone eaves-cove and is flanked by massive stacks and gable parapets with console kneelers and ball finials. Lower 2- storey flanking wings, set flush, have similar 2-light windows at first floor, gable parapets to M-shaped roofs and are slightly later. Rear (south front) similar but with rows of 4 single lights flanked by 4-light windows at ground floor and by 3-light windows at first floor; 4 irregularly-spaced 2-light basement windows set in the plinth. Lower bay to left with similar windows of 3 and 4 lights is probably C18. One-storey C20 kitchen wing behind. East front includes a stone doorway with a rectangular moulded surround under an oval window. Roofs to main block surround a square lead flat with a central timber-framed stair turret under a tiled domed-pyramid roof. Interior: Right of entrance is former kitchen with a very wide fireplace under a 3-centred stone arch. Two C17 oak-panelled drawing-rooms with Tudor-arched moulded stone fireplaces; with heavily-moulded beams forming a 6-panel ceiling with a dentil frieze. Upstairs are further Tudor-arched fireplaces, several heavy door-frames with moulded chamfer-stops and 2 rooms with full height C18 fielded panelling and moulded cornices. C17 oak dog-leg stair rising to attics has heavy turned balusters and lantern pendants and finials. At ground floor the newel is continuous and forms an Ionic column flanked by 3-centred arches. Attached to the east wing on a walled terrace is a stone and tiled Italianate loggia of c.1920 by Philip Tylden for Philip and Lady Ottoline Morrell. The south-facing front has a raised centre of 3 arches on Doric columns flanked by terms set against rustic pilasters terminating in scrolls and stone pineapple finials; hipped roof behind parapet; 3 oval windows in rear wall. The stone-paved terrace is supported by a curving stone wall with a double flight of steps flanking a central niche with mask set over a stone basin. Right of the terrace is a pair of ashlar gatepiers with entablature and pineapple finials. Return wall to right has 2 shell niches with stone figures - a standing draped female and a nude male with lyre and quiver. D H Lawrence, Lytton Strachey , Aldous Huxley, Siegfried Sassoon and Bertrand Russell were all frequent visitors during the Morrells celebrated occupancy (1915 - 28). (V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, p.136; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, pp611-2; R. Ingrams, Garsington Manor, (privately printed)

Listing NGR: SP5822001958

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 34 Oxfordshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1957 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 136
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974

National Grid Reference: SP 58220 01958

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:28:20.