List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

List entry Number: 1047650

Location

CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityBeckley and Stowood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246547

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BECKLEY AND STOWOOD CHURCH STREET SP51SE (West side) Beckley 2/27 Church of the Assumption of 18/07/63 The Blessed Virgin Mary (Formerly listed as Church of The Assumption of St. Mary the Virgin)

GV I

Church. C14 and C15, restored 1845. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile and sheet-metal roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, central tower and south porch. The C14 chancel has 2-light side windows and a 3-light east window, all with Reticulated tracery, and a priest's doorway to south with its medieval door; the steep-pitched roof has a gable parapet. The parapetted south aisle has similar Decorated windows, to west and west of the porch, but to east and east of the porch has C15 windows with 3 lights under 4-centred arches. The C15/early C16 porch has a wide 4-centre arched outer doorway, with ancient double-leaf doors, beneath a small cusped niche; the parapet string has corner heads and a gargoyle. The 4-centre arched C15 south doorway has a richly-moulded rectangular surround with label and has quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels. The door is C13 and has elaborate hinges, The C15 north aisle has 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, to north and east, and a blocked north doorway. The nave has square-headed C15 clerestorey windows and a west doorway similar to that on the south, but retains a late C13 west window of 3 lights with Intersecting tracery. The crenellated 3-stage central tower, now flanked by the aisles, shows the roofline of former transepts, and has 2-light arched belfry openings; at the north-east angle is a 2-stage circular stair turret, with a short octagonal spirelet, which may be C13 or earlier. Interior: The chancel has a section of earlier string course on the north wall; its 7-canted medieval roof has coupled rafters with king posts rising to upper collars, The central tower has four C14 arches of 2 chamfered orders dying into single-chamfered responds. The C15 nave has a 2-bay arcade with delicate cruciform piers and a stone missal desk built into the north-east respond; the contemporary roof has moulded tie beams, purlins and wallplates and is braced from moulded posts. C13 wall paintings on the west and south outer wali faces of the tower; C17 paintings on the tower and the west wall of the nave. C14 and C15 stained-glass panels and figures in north aisle and in some tracery lights of chancel windows; chancel north window 1895 by J. Hardman; other C19 glass in chancel, west window of nave, and east and west windows of south aisle. Fittings include a C12 tub font, C15 bench pews in and aisles, a C17 pulpit with arched panels and tester, a medieval chest, and a C17 bier in the porch. Wall monument in chancel to Anne Croke (died 1609) has a brass engraving and inscription in a Classical stone frame beneath an achievement; several plain C18 wall tablets in aisles; early C19 lozenge-shaped floor slabs to members of the Croke family of Studley Priory, (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp. 447-8).

Listing NGR: SP5622511272

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1957
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 447-8

National Grid Reference: SP 56227 11262

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 06:46:06.