List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1047587

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityWaterperry with Thomley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246710

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WATERPERRY SP60NW 6/190 Church of St. Mary 18/07/63

GV I

Church. Saxon, early C13 and early C14, restored 1840. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and some weatherboarding; artificial stone-slate and lead roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle and west tower. C13 chancel has 3 original lancets in each of the side walls, plus a fourth to south dated from the C19 rebuilding of the east wall with its 3-light window of Reticulated tracery; blocked priests door to north. The steep-pitched roof has the base of a sanctus bellcote on the west gable parapet. The south aisle has an early C14 east window of 3 lights with a large sexfoil in the tracery, and, to south, a low C15 window of 2 ogee lights and a 3-light C15/early C16 window of 3 cinqefoil lights; C14 south doorway has a keeled roll dying into wave-moulded jambs. The north wall of the nave has 2 more identical windows with sexfoils in the tracery and a blocked C14 doorway. At the east end of the wall is a rectangular stair projection. The west wall has a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery between deep stepped and gabled buttresses; to right is a C14 doorway and the central gable is taken up to form the base of the weatherboarded tower which has a shallow pyramid roof. Interior: Chancel has a plastered 7-canted roof, with 3 heavy tie beams, and a late-medieval aumbry in the north wall. C14 chancel arch springing from corbel heads is set beneath a high Saxon arch with plain imposts. Transitional 3-bay arcade has fluted and scalloped capital to east and masonry pier to west. King-post roof to nave, probably C16. West tower is supported on internal posts with large curved braces. Fittings include C18 panelled pine box pews, reading desk dated 1632, elaborately-canopied pulpit inscribed "GM/1677", C17 barley-twist communion rails, late C18 Gothic screen forming entrance lobby (removed from former chapel in Waterperry House (q.v.)), and a painted Royal Arms dated 1757. Stained glass in windows include C13, C14, C15 and C16 figures, shields and quarries, plus some C19 and C20 glass, Monuments include C14 full-length effigy under elaborate double-cusped and crocketted canopy; C17 alabaster wall monuments to Sir Francis Curson, with kneeling figures, and to Magdalen Curson with framed inscription; large marble group by Chantry dated 1821; a series of brasses including one palimpsest, plus many C17, C18 and C19 ledgers to Cursons and others. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, pp,306-8; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp,826-8).

Listing NGR: SP6295306319

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 826-8
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 306-8

National Grid Reference: SP 62956 06322

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 01:44:36.