List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1047462

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityHorspath

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246920

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORSPATH CHURCH ROAD SP50SE (West side) 4/153 Church of St. Giles 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. Late C12, C13, C15 and C19, restored 1852 by H.J. Underwood. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; tower and chancel; ashlar; imitation stone slate and sheet metal roofs. 4-bay nave with chancel, south transept, south aisle and porch, west tower and vestry and organ chamber opposite transept. Chancel was rebuilt in 1840 with 2 square-headed windows each side (some said to be re-used) and a 3-light east window with Perpendicular-style tracery. C13 south transept has a 2-light south window with plate tracery and a trefoil headed light to east. Parapetted nave has projecting buttresses and a central porch sheltering a door of c.1200. The porch has oak dog gates. C19 window to left. C15 crenellated tower has a 4-centre arched west doorway with recessed spandrels and label with lozenge stops. Above is a 3-light traceried window and to south a stair turret. Small arched belfry openings in rectangular surrounds. North wall of nave and vestry of 1852 in Geometrical Decorated style. Interior: Transitional nave arcade with masonry piers and minimal moulded imposts; the western arch rebuilt as a half arch. The Perpendicular tower arch is finely moulded and has large amusing figures terminating the hood mould. All roofs C19. Furnishings C19 except for fine Jacobean hexagonal pulpit with inlaid pictorial panels with perspective arches. Medieval stained glass includes 2 figures of c.1280, and many C15 and C16 figures and fragments. Painted window north of nave of 1740 said to be by Price of York. Monuments include a brass, an oval monument of c.1690 with a frame of fruit and flowers, and a late baroque monument to James Salisbury (died 1770) with scrolls and cherubs. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.655-6).

Listing NGR: SP5714104879

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 655-6
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957)

National Grid Reference: SP 57141 04879

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:10:22.