List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD

List entry Number: 1045812

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD, CHURCH STILE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358869

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 8913 SE ROCHDALE CHURCH STILE (north-west side) 11/42 Church of Saint 25.10. 1951 Chad

G.V. II*

Church. Tower C13 and later, top stage added in 1870. Nave arcade columns partly C14, arches in south aisle C14, clerestory 1557, chancel and chapel 1883-8, otherwise of various Victorian restorations. South aisle, porch and belfry by W.H. Crossland, chancel and chapels by J.S. Crowther. Rossendale stone, Yorkshire stone and slate and copper roofs. Nave with aisles, clerestory, central west tower and south porch. Chancel with chapels to north and south. Largely in a Decorated style. Castellated 5-bay nave and aisle with square headed 3-light cusped windows and 3- light traceried windows to aisle in mixed style with hood moulds. Weathered buttresses and crocketed pinnacles. South porch has diagonal weathered buttresses, grotesque gargoyles, crocketed pinnacles, statue of St. Chad and arched opening with heavily enriched ogee shaped surround. The 3-stage castellated tower has offset angle buttresses surmounted by carved heads and decorative pinnacles, elaborate bell-stage, gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles. The 6-bay castellated chancel has clerestory and side chapels with square-headed traceried clerestory lights and 3-light, four-centred arches to chapel with Perpendicular tracery. Buttresses and pinnacles as above but with grotesque gargoyles. The chancel roof is higher than that of the nave, the east window is of 6-lights with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: 6-bay nave arcade with alternating round and octagonal piers with stiff-leaf and upright-leaf and headed capitals, and some with broaches at the springing of the arches. The arches are double chamfered and the roof of an ornate tie-beam construction. The chancel is also of 6 bays with clustered columns. Fittings: plain C14 font, some Perpendicular stalls and chapel screens, C17 twisted-baluster communion rail in south chapel. W. Morris west window 1872-4, A.S. Wild, Top o'th'Steps, 1970 and B.o.E.

Listing NGR: SD8966613145

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Wild, A S - Title: Top o'th'Steps - Date: 1970
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South Lancashire - Date: 1969

National Grid Reference: SD 89666 13145

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:40:08.