List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1045742

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NottinghamshireBassetlawDistrict AuthorityCarlton in Lindrick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 241376

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 58 SE CARLTON-IN-LINDRICK CHURCH LANE South Carlton (East side)

4/20 Church of St.John the Evangelist 30.11.66 G.V. I

Church. Pagan, C7, Cll, C12, mid C12, late C12, c.1190, C14, c.1425, C15, C19, 1831. Restorations took place 1831, c.1936 and 1967. Coursed rubble and ashlar. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, north chapel, south vestry, chancel. The Cll tower was diagonally buttressed between 1417 and 1443, given a south west staircase and topped with an embattled belfry with 8 crocketted pinnacles and single central gargoyle to each side. The Cll part is in 4 stages marked respectively from the base by coursed rubble, roughly dressed rectangular blocks, herringbone and coursed rubble interspersed with herringbone. There are 2 string courses, one square in section, the 2nd at the junction of the Cll and C15 stages is C15. The west mid C12 doorway was moved here from the south in 1831. The inner jambs and arch around the double wooden door are decorated with chevron. Either side are 3 engaged columns with volute capitals. The inner support an arch decorated with chevron on front and soffit separated by a narrow band of pointed roll moulding. The outer 2 support moulded arches. There is a hood mould with head label stops. Above is an opening with 2 cusped, arched, lights under a flat head with hood mould over. To its right is a small rectangular stair light. Above on west and east sides are single coupled Cll bell openings. The lintels are carved to form 2 arches which are separated by a plain shaft. In the C15 belfry are four 3-light arched openings with cusping and hood mould. To the right of the west opening is a mall rectangular stair light. Under the north and south openings are single C19 clock faces. Abutting the south west buttress is the base of the C14 church cross. Abutting the south and north aisle walls are single coursed rubble C12 nave quoins. The C19 buttressed north wall with embattled parapet is set on plinth. There are 3 windows to the C12 aisle, each with 3 arched and cusped lights under a flat head with a hood mould over. The c.1425 parapetted clerestorey with crocketted pinnacles is of coursed rubble leading to ashlar and has 2 arched windows each with 3 cusped lights. The c.l190 north chapel of St. Thomas A Beckett, restored 1967, has a slate roof. There is an arched doorway with cavetto moulding and hood mould over. To the left is an arched 3-light window with cusping and hood mould. The east wall of the chapel is of coursed rubble and is set on a plinth on the north side. There is a single pointed arched window with a single similar smaller blocked window above. Below the bottom window is a chamfered string course broken by a headstone. The coursed rubble embattled chancel has 6 crocketted pinnacles with a single ridge cross at its east end. The east wall also has single gargoyles at the angles and is set on a chamfered plinth. The north wall of the chancel has a small blocked arched opening. In the east wall is a C15 arched 5- light window with panel tracery and hood mould with head label stops. Abutting the wall are 3 stone memorials to Martha, John, John and Elizabeth Wordsworth 1790-1827, to Ann and John Unwin 1812-1814 and to Ann ... 1819. The buttressed south chancel wall has an arched window with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. To the left, set on a plinth, is a projecting embattled C19 ashlar porch with arched doorway and hood mould. Over the inner arched, cavetto moulded C14 priests' doorway is a re-used asymmetrical pagan stone carved in relief with a sun and moon and 2 stars under a semi-circular moulding. Carved into this is a later cross. Outside in the spandrels are carved fan-shaped sprays. Above is a carved shield. West of the porch is the C19 south vestry, set on a plinth with embattled parapet and arched window with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. The angle buttressed 1831 south aisle with embattled parapet and single crocketted pinnacles at the angles is set on a plinth and has 3 arched windows each with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. The parapetted clerestorey with 2 crocketted pinnacles has 3 arched windows each with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. Interior; nave and aisles are separated by 3 bay arcades. The mid C12 north arcade has moulded arches supported on round piers and capitals decorated with volute leaves, the south arcade is an 1831 imitation of the north. The Cll moulded tower arch with angle and soffit roll is supported on the east side on 2 pairs of engaged shafts with bell capitals decorated with lancet-like leaves and fillets of cable moulding. There is a hood mould over with label stops, that to the south decorated with lancet-like leaves. The west, earlier C7 arch with square edges rests on imposts. The restored C12 chancel arch jambs consist of single square piers which have part way up single engaged columns carved out of the corners. The scalloped capitals have ball decoration on the north abaci and interlacing on the south impost, these support the double chamfered arch. The late C12 north aisle/north chapel arch is off centre and is supported on 2 keeled shafts with plain capitals. The north chapel/chancel arch has late C12 keeled roll moulding and is Supported on keeled shafts, the east one having volute decoration on the capital. Between nave and north aisle is a large opening. The north wall of the nave has an arched deep splayed Cll opening above the arcade. The chancel north wall has 2 deep splayed Cll arched openings. In the north chancel wall is a chamfered, arched, tomb recess. The south wall has 2 arched piscinas and the organ recess. Above the tower arch is a C20 gallery. The chancel roof is supported on carved corbels. The nave and north aisle roofs have C15 heraldic bosses restored c.1936. Lying against the east chancel wall is the Cll stone high altar. The north aisle contains the 1170 altar of St. Thomas A Beckett with lead seal. The south aisle has a C12 stone altar with incised crosses. The font is C12. In the north aisle is a C16 wooden chest wth metal fitments and an iron chest inscribed "Carlton in Lindrick R. P. Goodenough Rector J. Whitehead Church Warden 1813". The pews, pulpit etc. are late C19. Either side of the tower arch are iron brackets for hanging the Maid Garlands. On the east wall of the north aisle is a C15 alabaster carving of The Holy Trinity. The east window in the north chapel has C15 stained glass. On the north wall of the south aisle is a brass plaque to Elizabeth Catherine and Richard Letwell 1792. On the north chancel wall is a C18 monument decorated with a brocken pediment containing a cartouche. On the south chancel wall is a hatchment inscribed G.IV Rex. On the south nave wall are 2 others of Ramsden quartering Smyth of Heath Hall Yorks. 1753 and of Ramsden impaling Appleby of Wooton Lincs 1783.

Listing NGR: SK5882683900

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 58826 83902

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 04:43:15.