List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1045621

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NottinghamshireNewark and SherwoodDistrict AuthorityOllerton and Boughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 241860

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOUGHTON CHURCH ROAD SK 66 NE (north side) 3/9 Church of 2.6,77 St. Matthew

G.V. II

Parish church. 1868. By J. Fowler of Louth in C13 Gothic Revival style. Snecked ashlar and brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof. Chamfered and partly rendered plinth, sill band, coped gables with crosses. Single ornate round stone gable stack. Windows are mainly double Geometrical lancets with hood moulds and stops. South west tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. Buttressed tower, 2 stages, has string course and billeted eaves, and broach spire with 4 tiers of lucarnes. To south, a chamfered light, and above, clock. To west, 2 chamfered lights. Second stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with Geometrical tracery. Buttressed nave, 4 bays, has on each side 3 double lancets. West end has 2 chamfered lancets and above, round quatrefoil window. Chancel, 2 bays, has pair of corner buttresses to south east and to east, stepped sill band. East end has large triple lancet. South side has 2 double lancets and to west, single buttress. Vestry, 2 bays, has decorative kneelers. North side has to east, shouldered doorway with hood mould, and to west, double lancet in square headed reveal. East end has double lancet with, above, a round light. South porch, engaged with tower and nave, has 2 corner buttresses and coped gable with kneeler and remains of cross. South doorway has chamfered opening with hood mould and stops. Interior has to left, door to tower. South door has roll moulded reveal and hood mould. Brick interior has cogged and blue brick sill band and ashlar and blue brick window heads and bands. Billeted brick wall plate. Aisleless nave has timber screen at west end and scissor braced principal rafter roof with ashlar pieces. West windows have stained glass, C19. Chamfered polychrome brick chancel arch has keeled roll moulded ashlar intrados, incised small imposts and responds with conical moulded brackets, dogtooth bands, marble shafts, square foliate capitals and impost band with stops. Chancel north side has to west, organ recess and to east, chamfered piscina with four centred arched head and hood mould with stops. East end has gradine with 4 trefoil headed moulded openings and trefoil headed crocketed tabernacle with flanking marble shafts. East window has stained glass, 1869. South side has to east, single sedilia with scrolled stops. Vestry/organ chamber has no architectural features. Fittings include octagonal font with recessed ogee headed panels and painted text, on moulded octagonal stem with water holding base and square plinth with scallop corners. Octagonal ashlar pulpit with crocketed trefoil headed recessed panels with marble flanking shafts and hood moulds. Desk-type timber lectern with traceried openings, on bracketed square chamfered stem. Chamfered panelled benches, moulded and pierced stalls and desk, C17 chip carved panelled chest with legs. Memorials include chamfered recess containing brass to W. J. Pickin, 1869, marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1918, and various brasses, C19 and C20.

Listing NGR: SK6785568522

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 67855 68522

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 04:15:24.