List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARVEY'S BREWERY

List entry Number: 1043864

Location

HARVEY'S BREWERY, CLIFFE HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexLewesDistrict AuthorityLewes

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 293022

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for

TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET (north side)

Cliffe 10/43 Harvey's Brewery The description shall be amended to read by adding as last sentence - "NB: Two- storey extension recently erected on to west face of hoist house".

------------------------------------

TQ 4110 SE LEWES CLIFFE HIGH STREET 10/43 (north side) Cliffe

Harvey's Brewery

GV II*

Brewery. Early C19, almost completely remodelled by William Bradford circa 1881, with semi-continuous alterations of a minor nature since, particularly internal. Red brick with orange dressings, toothed impost bands on ground floor and between ground and first floors and moulded cornice-type impost-band on first floor. Moulded brick cornices to plain tiled roofs. Main block to left of centre with four-storey tower on righthand part. Cornice above third stage to louvred wooden fourth stage with board reading HARVEYS to west. Slightly arched heads to individual louvres, 4 X 5, with steep hipped roof with bellcast, very short ridge and double conjoined finial with weather-vane to west. Weather-vane marked 1626 T SE found during excavations for foundations in 1881. Three storeys to left with parapet-gabled third stage, added and recessed. Irregular fenestration of two windows on third floor, 2 on second floor and 2 on ground floor, symmetrically disposed about a wide arched entrance with double doors and arched light. All windows segment-headed, except those on ground floor, and with large iron casements with glazing bars and nodal bosses. Single sash in third floor addition to left. Two-storey block to left with segmental arch on ground floor. Doubled half-glazed doors in centre with half-glazed outer panels. Glazed top-lights with large inset fanlight over doors. Cantilevered wide octagonal bay above with tile-hanging below timber-framing with brick infill. Plain casements on canted sides and on centre of front face with deep glazed and leaded top lights of stained and bottle bottom glass. Window on cant to right with louvred shutter. Panelled wooden cornice with small glazed lights inset to hipped roof. Block continues to right, obscured by later additions on ground floor but with the original windows with iron glazing and nodal bosses above. Additions to left and behind as well as projecting towards the west. Tall octagonal brick tapering chimney in angle; the top third has been rebuilt with an oversailing cornice. 11 iron straps surround the chimney which sits on a stone bolection-moulded plinth. Hoist-house on right corner of main tower, timber-framed and panelled below with shouldered arched glazing above. Bracketted cornice with panelling and glazed roundels. 2-storey 5 bay wing to right with 4 small iron glazed and nodal bossed windows on first floor and door in second bay from right. Single storey extensions on ground floor of no special interest, extending as a canopy underneath the hoist- house. Interior: Board Room. Mid-C19 Italianate fireplace. Malt store. Malt mill in place. Tower hoist. Mash tun room. Mash tun in place. Steam engine survives though no longer used commercially; Pontifex and Wood, Shoe Lane, London. Single cylinder horizontal engine. The designs by William Bradford for the Brewery were published in the Brewer's Journal, 15:xi:1881, including a perspective.



Listing NGR: TQ4197810289

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Brewers Journal' in Brewers Journal, , Vol. 15, (1881)

National Grid Reference: TQ 41978 10289

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 01:48:24.