List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CRAGSIDE

List entry Number: 1042076

Location

CRAGSIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityCartington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236348

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARTINGTON CRAGSIDE NU 0702 24/11 Cragside 21/10/53 GV I

Country House. 1864, greatly enlarged 1870-2, 1872-7 and 1883-5 by Norman Shaw, and Billiard Room extension 1895 by Frederick Waller, for Sir William George Armstrong, 1st Lord Armstrong. Snecked stone with rock-faced-and- margined quoins and ashlar dressings; some timber framing with pebbledashed infill; red clay tile roofs except for leaded part-glazed roof to Drawing Room and Welsh slates on Billiard Room.

Dramatic site cut into steep valleyside; irregular ranges around small court closed by rock face on east. Central Tower in west range; Gilnockie Tower at east end of south range forms a link with Drawing Room and Billiard Room at higher level to south-east. Eclectic style with mixed Gothic, Tudor and Renaissance motifs.

South (Entrance) front: irregular facade in 3 parts. 3-storey 3-bay left section has 2 timber-framed gables and an attic dormer; central moulded entrance arch with inner half-glazed panelled double doors, and large mullioned- and-transomed window over. Central part 2 storeys and blind jettied top floor, 2 bays, has a larger moulded archway through to the courtyard. Right bay is 5-storey Gilnockie Tower, with gabled top floor set back behind stepped parapet; and hexagonal wooden cupola with swept lead dome and weathervane. Projecting right wing, 2-storeyed on west and l-storeyed on east with hill slope; on west and south faces large bay windows, massive projecting stack on south, castellated parapets. At higher level on far right is large detached chimney stack served by subterranean flues.

Irregular west front in several planes. 4-bay right section is 1864 house, heightened 1872-7 by Shaw; 3 storeys except for 6-storey central Tower rising behind 2nd bay. Twin-gabled left bay; timber-framed top floor to right bays. Tower has stepped crenellated parapet below timber-framed top floor with jettied gable. 2-bay left section of 1870-7: Semi-octagonal bay window on left supports balcony to recessed timber-framed 2nd floor.

North front 1 + 4 bays. Main 3-storey part has 1874 gateway on left: large moulded archway to courtyard flanked by stepped clasping buttresses. 3rd bay has full-height canted bay window, with multi-shafted chimney to right. To left is 1½-storey bay with timber-framed gable set back behind parapet.

Stone-mullioned windows, some with transoms, except in timber-framed sections, mostly with plate glass except for some leaded small-paned casements. Various carved panels and details, notably to timberwork of Central Tower. Moulded parapets, gable copings and finials. Tall chimneys with clustered octagonal or spiral-fluted shafts.

Largely complete Victorian interior. Stone Entrance Hall with panelled bays on either side and moulded arches, one leading to passage with De Morgan majolica tiles. Library with elaborate panelled and coffered ceiling, frieze with painted floral panels, high panelled dado and large chimney piece of onyx, copper and pictorial tiles; Morris glass (life of St. George) in top lights of windows. Dining Room has deeply-coffered moulded ceiling and high embattled dado with carved frieze; inglenook fireplace under semicircular arch, the fireplace, arch and frieze above all carved. Large kitchen with 2 ranges, hydraulically-turned spit and dumb waiter. In basement below Library, a complete bath-house suite with tiled plunge bath.Open-well stair with carved heraldic beasts on newels.

Upstairs landing and passages with De Morgan tiles. Gallery, with arch-braced timber roof and glazed top panels, leads to Drawing Room: Huge inglenook fireplace and chimneypiece by W.R. Lethaby, in Italian marbles, carved throughout with Renaissance motifs and reaching to top of barreled roof. Roof has elaborate plaster side panels and glazed centre; moulded archway to bay window. Billiard Room with panelled fireplace wall and Baroque arcades.

Cragside was the home of the 1st Lord Armstrong (1810-1900), industrialist and inventor. The house was the scene of many technological innovations; it was the first in the world to be lit by electricity derived from water power. 'Cragside', National Trust guide 1981, S. Pettit & S. Saint.

Listing NGR: NU0737502173

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pettit, S and Saint, S - Title: Cragside - Date: 1981
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 31 Northumberland - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: NU 07375 02173

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:22:12.