List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1041824

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityEmbleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236959

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 2322 EMBLETON EMBLETON VILLAGE

14/69 The Old Vicarage 10.1.53 (formerly listed as Embleton Vicarage) GV Vicarage. Early C14 house or solar wing reconstructed c.1390 as tower; kitchen wing mid-C18; major extensions by John Dobson 1828 for Rev. George Grimes. Tower squared stone and rubble, with south end refaced in squared tooled stone; C18 wing brick, rendered and colourwashed; C19 parts squared whinstone with sandstone ashlar plinth and dressings. Welsh slate roofs. C18/19 parts form irregular H-plan, with link to tower at east end and conservatory, of stretched octagon plan, at south end of west range. C19 parts in Tudor style.

South (entrance) front 2 + 3 storeys, 5 irregular bays. Chamfered plinth. Porch bay in centre has double-chamfered arch with hoodmould, under canted oriel with embattled parapet; plain panel under gable above. Set back to left a bay with large 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window and 3-light window above. Set further back to right a lower bay with 2-light transomed window under single-light window; embattled parapet with small gable in centre. Slightly-projecting left end bay has single-light 1st-floor window above attached conservatory. Right end bay is tower; C19 two-light windows on upper floors are flanked by older chamfered loops, probably re-set. Embattled parapet with gable of cap-house behind. C19 parts have sash windows, mostly of 8 panes, in chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds; coped gables with moulded kneelers and finials; tall stacks with multiple diagonal corniced shafts.

Right return: Tower 3 storeys, 2 wide bays. Broad central stack projection, corbelled out at eaves level. Square-headed 2- and 3-light windows, some blocked, those to ground floor C20 but in same style. 16-pane casement in C18 stone surround to 2nd floor right; some blocked medieval loops; embattled parapet with truncated old brick stacks.

Left return 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central two single-light windows on 1st floor. Flanking flat-topped canted bays, with 12-pane sashes, under 2-light windows in slightly-raised panels carried up as gables. Attached conservatory at right has 12-pane sashes in recessed and hollow-chamfered surrounds; swept and hipped glazed roof; roof ribs descend to integral cast-iron gutter.

Rear elevation: Tower at left shows 16-pane casement on 2nd floor and various blocked loops. C18 wing in centre shows two 12-pane 1st floor sashes and hipped roof.

Interior: Entrance porch has groined vault on moulded corbels, and half-glazed Gothick door. Tower: ground floor divided into two segmental-vaulted chambers; north chamber has old chamfered fireplace and pair of pointed doorways. 1st floor has C18 octagon room with moulded fireplace and domed niches; remains of old stair in cupboard at north end. 2nd floor has another moulded early C18 fireplace and stone roof corbels. Cap-house has unusual roof trusses with saddles and additional outer principals carrying purlins. Kitchen wing has 1st-floor room with acanthus frieze, and contemporary fireplace with fluted pilasters and scroll cornice. Early C19 part: Open-well stair with stick balusters; coffered ceiling to hall. Drawing room has elaborate vine-scroll frieze, cornice and floral ceiling rose; dining room has coffered ceiling. Doors of 6 vertical panels; folding panelled shutters; Gothick and Tudor fireplaces, with ornamental cast-iron grates.

Historical Notes: Merton College, who held the patronage of Embleton, agreed in 1332 to provide quarters where the vicar might "live suitably and entertain visitors decently"; reconstruction seems to have taken place after the parish was laid waste by the Scots in 1385.

H.L. Honeyman, 'Embleton Vicarage', Archaeologia Aeliana 4th ser. V. (1928) 87-101.



Listing NGR: NU2305322435

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Archaeologia Aeliana - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Archaeologia Aeliana - Volume: 5 - Page References: 87-101

National Grid Reference: NU 23053 22444

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 09:19:10.