List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINTS PHILIP AND JAMES

List entry Number: 1041758

Location

CHURCH OF SAINTS PHILIP AND JAMES, ROCK VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityRennington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 237096

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 2020 RENNINGTON ROCK VILLAGE

15/205 Church of 31.12.69 Ss. Philip and James GV II*

Parish church. Mid-C12, chancel perhaps extended in C13; restored 1806; restored again in 1855 by Salvin,with new bellcote, vestry and apse; north aisle added 1866 by F.R. Wilson. Squared stone with ashlar apse and dressings; Scottish slate roof to nave, Welsh slates on other parts. Nave with 3-bay north aisle, chancel with apse and north vestry. Romanesque style.

Twin-gabled west elevation. Original right part has plinth and corner pilasters with shafts at angles. Central raised panel contains boarded door with C-hinges in round-headed arch, with chevron ornament, on jamb shafts with scalloped capitals. Tegulated hood springs from a string course with lozenge ornament. Second similar string course on grotesque corbels below C19 gable with round-headed window between cruciform panels; Romanesque twin- arched bellcote with moulded finial. West end of aisle has similar central panel with 2-light window, and World War I memorial plaque below; Maltese cross finial.

4-bay south nave wall shows flat pilasters and arcaded corbel table; one narrow C12 loop and two C19 double lancets, with hoodmoulds. North aisle wall is north wall of old nave rebuilt stone-for-stone: 2 bays with pilasters and corbel table, one C12 loop and two C19 lancets.

2-bay south chancel wall shows similar pilasters, but corbel table in eastern bay only; triple and single C19 lancets. On north wall a C12 loop to west of vestry. Apse corbel table on shafted pilasters; single-light windows with shafted jambs, moulded arches, and sunk panels beneath.

Interior: West door rear arch has shafted jambs with fluted capitals; 3-bay arcade has double-chamfered round arches on round piers with scalloped capitals. Good C12 chancel arch with moulded inner order; towards nave outer order has zig-zag ornament and enriched hood; both orders on attached jamb shafts with variously fluted and scalloped capitals; patterned impost block on north. String with lozenge pattern on east wall of nave above chancel arch. Triple lancet on south chancel wall has old moulded segmental rear arch with remains of wall painting. Blocked C13 lancet to east of C19 moulded vestry doorway. Apse has shafted rear arches and tiled floor. Four shields, three as roof corbels, with Swinhoe arms (three swine); one with Proctor arms (three water bougets). C19 roofs; hollow-chamfered eaves cornice broken forward round corbels carrying arch braces to tie-beam trusses with collars.

Font has triple-stepped square shaft and restored moulded hexagonal bowl. Organ in north aisle, designed and presented by Robert H.M. Bosanquet, 1881, built by Messrs. Gray and Davison.

Monuments: On chancel floor a late C12 cross slab with sword and axe. On south of chancel brass plate to John Salkeld d.1620 and wall tablet, signed by W. Smith, to Colonel John Salkeld, who 'serv'd King Charles ye 1st wth a Constant dangerous and Expensive loyalty', d.1705. On north a pedimented marble plaque to Charlotte Anne Bosanquet d.1830 and a marble plaque with bas- relief bust, signed by J. Edward of London, to Charles Bosanquet d.1850.



Listing NGR: NU2021720231

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 20217 20231

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:39:25.