List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC

List entry Number: 1041642

Location

CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityOld Stratford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235314

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD STRATFORD PASSENHAM SP7839 20/77 Church of St. Guthlac 17/05/60 (Formerly listed as under Deanshanger C.P.) GV I

Church. C13, top stage of tower rebuilt, nave re-roofed and repaired 1621 following collapse of spire, chancel rebuilt 1626, further repairs and alterations 1775, restored C19 and C20. Coursed squared limestone, limestone dressings and lead roofs. Chancel has 4-light Perpendicular east window with hood mould and label stops and 2-light Perpendicular windows to north and south with hood moulds. Basket-arched priest's door to south with continuous hollow chamfer framed by small continuous wave-mouldings; hood mould. Tablet above door with small fluted Ionic pilasters supporting decorate frieze and moulded cornice and framing elaborate cartouche with arms of Sir Robert Banastre; base inscribed ROBERTUS BANASTREIUS MILES/QUID RETRIBUAM TIBI DONINE PRO OMNIBUS/BENEFIIS MIHI DATIS ANNO DOMINI 1626/STULTE HAC NOCTE. Chancel has wave-moulded plinth continued across four off-set buttresses to each side, string courses at sill level, joining stops of hood moulds of windows and at base of plain parapet. Wagon roof of chancel is expressed externally in rounded profile of lead roof and semi-circular east gable. Finials to buttresses flanking east end. 3-bay nave has lancet windows to north and blocked north door all with hood moulds and 2-light windows to south with sex-foiled circles to heads and hood moulds. Blocked south door with large off-set buttress in front. Similar buttresses to east and west ends and chamfered plinth to south side only; battlemented parapet. 3-stage west tower has west door with continuous double roll mouldings the outermost with fillet, 6-panel C18 door and hood mould. 3 niches above with later (C14) chamfered cinqfoiled ogee heads and hood moulds. Cusped 1-light windows to north and south of diddle stage with hood moulds, paired lancet bell-chamber openings and plain parapet with corner pinnacles. Diagonal off-set buttresses. Interior: single-stepped doorway from vestibule in tower to body of church with C18 6-panel double-leaf doors and HL hinges. Stone-flagged floor to nave and chancel. 3-bay wagon roof to chancel with carved pendant bosses. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds and moulded capitals. Lancet-headed opening to south side of chancel arch, blocked at east end, has sunk quadrant moulding to surround. Nave has 4-bay arch-braced tie beam roof supported by wall-posts on carved head corbels, except for middle corbel south side which is larger and inscribed SRB/l621. Decorative carving to wall-plate and cusping to principals. Stalls in chancel dated 1628 with ogee-arched panels to west side of stalls within chancel arch, possibly part of former rood screen, and to stall fronts with strapwork frieze to south side, frieze to north side with sea-horses, Banastre arms and shield inscribed B/RM/1628. Stalls have misericords with, from north-east, a mask, arms upheld by angels, an ox, male head with asses ears, a goat, head, winged cherub's head, a lion, a cat's head, the Lamb, a female head and a griffin. Shallow scalloped round-arched niches behind stalls formerly filled by effigies of Apostles and St. Paul, of which bases inscribed with their Latin names remain. West gallery composed of Sir Robert Banastre's former chancel screen with fluted Ionic pillars on high bases and frieze carved with cartouches of arms. Those to centre and either end upheld by kneeling cherubs, those either side held by mermaids and mermen with winged horses trampling dragons either side. Charities recorded on gallery front. Hanoverian Royal arms to central panel, painted on cast metal. Wall-paintings in chancel above stalls, part of original scheme, restored 1962-6. Large figures of prophets to north wall, Evangelists to south wall, Nicodemus to one side of east window, Joseph of Arimathea to other side, all in shell-arched niches divided by pilasters. Pulpit with back panel and tester probably made up from Jacobean pieces c.1800. Panelled box pews. C17/C18 stain glass figures to north nave and chancel windows probably continental, canopies of c.1350. Monuments: wall monument to Sir Robert Banastre d.1649 with demi-figure in oval niche surrounded by wreath, apron with inscription, volutes with garlands and steep broken pediment framing cartouche of arms. Marble wall monument to Reverend Richard Forester, d.1769 with curly bracket and cartouche with inscription topped by coat of arms; erected by his eldest brother Pulter. 2 early C19 wall monuments to later rectors. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp369-70; Wolverton Historical Journal for 1966 and 1968; O.F. Brown and G.J. Roberts; Passenham; 1973, Apendix 3)

Listing NGR: SP7803139438

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brown, O F, Roberts, G J, Passenham, (1973)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 369-70
'Wolverton Historical Journal' in Wolverton Historical Journal, (1966)
'Wolverton Historical Journal' in Wolverton Historical Journal, (1968)

National Grid Reference: SP 78031 39438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:12:43.