List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1041597

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityBrafield on the Green

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAFIELD ON THE GREEN CHURCH LANE SP85NW (East side) 5/9 Church of St. Lawrence 03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and C15, restored 1858. Chancel rebuilt 1848 by J.M. Derick, North aisle and arcade rebuilt 1850, porch 1911. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, slate and plain-tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window. 2-light windows north and south, all with Decorated-style tracery and hood moulds. The walling is of limestone banded with ironstone. Deep hollow-chamfered stone eaves, diagonal offset buttresses and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. Aisles have 2-light windows with Decorated-style tracery and hood moulds. South door with pointed arched head in porch with shafts to doorway and double-chamfered arch. Small niche above doorway and paired cusped 1-light windows to sides of porch. 3-stage tower has small door to south with round-arched head and old plank door, 1-light windows either side of large offset buttress to west with hood moulds, a lancet window to middle stage south with hood mould and label stops, and 2-light bell-chamber openings with transom, trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds. Massive diagonal offset buttress, gargoyles to angles and battlemented chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay arcades, that to north C19 with circular piers and elaborate foliage capitals. South arcade has polygonal east and west responds with stiff leaf capitals, one circular pier with basketweave decoration to north side, waterleaf to other sides, and another with keeled shafts to angles, coupled shafts to four sides, and capital with stiff-leaf and carved heads to angles, both with moulded bases and octagonal abaci; double-chamfered arches. Norman font has square bowl with ornament of interlacing semi-circles and circular stem; probably much re-cut. 7-sided panelled pulpit, probably late C18. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p119; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, pp228-9)

Listing NGR: SP8221559060

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 119
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 228-9

National Grid Reference: SP 82215 59060

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 03:10:04.