List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1041558

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, BEDFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityLittle Houghton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235525

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE HOUGHTON BEDFORD ROAD SP8059 (North side) 11/125 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C13-C15, altered late C18/early C19. Body of church rebuilt 1873 and otherwise restored by Charles Buckeridge at cost of £3,000. Coursed ironstone rubble and coursed squared ironstone with ironstone and limestone dressings, plain-tile and lead roofs. Chancel, organ chamber/vestry, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 3-light east window with C19 reticulated tracery, a 2-light window to north with C19 Decorated tracery and pair of similar windows to south all with hood moulds; diagonal off-set buttresses and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. C19 vestry/organ chamber continues north aisle and has 3-light window to east and north, the latter with straight head, both with hood moulds. Nave has 3-bay clerestory of 1873; 2-light windows with straight heads and hood moulds and plain stone-coped parapet. Aisles have 2-light windows with C19 Decorated style tracery, except for 3-light east window to south aisle with C19 intersecting tracery, all with hood moulds, and plain stone-coped parapets. South aisle overlaps chancel. South door of c.1200 has one order of shafts with leaf-crocket capitals, moulded imposts and round arch with two flat steps; stone to arch of alternating limestone and ironstone. South porch has doorway with 2 orders of polygonal shafts, moulded capitals and triple-chamfered arch. Tower has 3 stages. Pair of C19 cusped 1-light windows to west with hood moulds and chamfered lancet window to next stage north side. C13 former bell-chamber stage has 5 blank arches to each side with round shafts and blocked chamfered lancet windows flanking central blank arch. C15 top stage has 2-light bell-chamber openings with Decorated tracery and hood moulds. Off-set angle buttresses and quatrefoil frieze of limestone to base of battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia grouped with piscina with ogee-arched heads to arches and trefoils to spandrels. Double-chamfered arches to former north and south chancel chapels with polygonal responds. Similar chancel arch. Nave has 3-bay arcades probably both of 1873, with octagonal piers, polygonal responds and double-chamfered arches. Triple-chamfered tower arch. Font has circular bowl with flat attached shafts carrying rough single-scallop capitals, supported by four octagonal colonnettes round central bar stop-chamfered support. C18 charity board. 3 stalls in chancel, possibly continental with winged lion arms and lion's feet. C19 reredos with terracotta panels. C19 stain-glass windows to chancel; east window by Clayton & Bell, c.1873. Monuments: wall monument of coloured marbles to William Ward, d.1737, his wife Bridget, d.1735 and their 7 children erected 1775 by their two surviving daughters Mary and Dorothy by William Cox of Northampton with apron, obelisk background, cartouche of arms and lamp finials. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp293-5; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, pp269-270; Little Houghton Coronation Scrapbook, 1953)

Listing NGR: SP8034059629

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1937 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 269-270
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 293-5

National Grid Reference: SP 80340 59629

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 06:11:56.