List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1041557

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityHackleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235521

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HACKLETON PRESTON DEANERY SP75NE 4/121 Church of St. Peter and St. 03/05/68 Paul

- II*

Church. C12, repaired c.1622; chancel repaired and altered 1808 and again in 1854 by E.F. Law. Coursed limestone rubble with ironstone dressings; slate roofs. Chancel, nave and west tower. Chancel has 3-light east window with C19 Perpendicular tracery, set in larger round-arched opening with keyblock. Datestone above inscribed "CN/1808". Blocked chamfered Tudor-arched door to north and 2-light chamfered stone mullion window to north-west at high level with hood mould. South side of chancel has central 3-light arched mullion window with hood mould, blocked pointed arched window immediately to right, blocked 1-light low-side window to far left with pointed trefoil-headed light and transom, and blocked chamfered priest's door with round-arched head. Nave has 4-light arched mullion window to north with hood mould, chamfered Tudor-arched south door with hood mould flanked by similar 2-light windows, all probably dating from C17 repairs. Tower has pilaster buttresses to middle of each side. Blocked door to left of buttress to north with round-arched head and pointed trefoil-headed piscina to far left. Small round-arched windows to middle stage and 2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils to heads except for east side which has original 1-light round-arched openings either side of buttress. Battlemented parapet. Off-set buttresses flank east window and chancel has chamfered stone eaves. Interior: chancel has simple sedilia, piscina and aumbry. Unmoulded round-headed chancel arch with carved imposts. Tall narrow round-headed tower arch with moulded imposts, with similar wider inner arch. Font is inset in north pier of tower arch and has polygonal stem and bowl. 2 hatchments, oil on canvas. Brass to Clement Edmonds, d.1622 and his wife Mary. Standing wall monument signed H. Cox to Elizabeth wife of Purbeck Langham who died 1736. Plinth has plain pilasters to angles. Inscription is flanked by fluted Doric pilasters bearing triglyph frieze and broken pediment flanked by lamp finials and framing gadrooned urn with cartouche of arms to base and gilded flame finial. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p379; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, p281)

Listing NGR: SP7884255679

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 379
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 281

National Grid Reference: SP 78842 55679

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:26:28.