List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1041535

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityYardley Hastings

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235575

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YARDLEY HASTINGS HIGH STREET SP8657 (East side) 17/175 Church of St. Andrew 03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14. Restored 1883-1889 by George Sutherland, including rebuilding of aisles and new nave roof. Further C20 restorations. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings, lead and plain-tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light east window with reticulated tracery and 2-light windows to south with straight heads and ogee-arched heads to lights, all with hood moulds and label stops renewed C20, That to south-west has lower portion, blocked below transom. Chamfered priest's doorway to south with old plank door. Nave has 5-window clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds. North aisle has 2-light windows to north with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds, and similar 3-light windows to east and west ends. South aisle has similar 2- and 3-light windows. Restored double hollow-chamfered north door with hood mould. Single-stepped and hollow-chamfered south doorway, with medieval ridged and studded plank door, probably C14, with original hinges, brattished cross-piece at level of springing of arch, cusped arch mouldings and scalloped top. C19 porch with double-chamfered doorway and paired cusped chamfered 1-light windows to east and west sides. 3-stage west tower has small plank door to north-east in pegged wood surround with overlight divided by plain wood mullion, one half glazed with diamond-leaded panes, and wood lintel. Pilaster buttress to middle of west side. 1-light windows to middle stage south and west. Twin nook-shafted bell-chamber openings with central shaft and round-headed lights, framed by rounded-headed arch. Worn dog-tooth ornament to heads of lights of south and east bell-chamber openings. A single 1-light window with round head to east of south bell-chamber opening. Original early C13 corbel table and C15 battlemented parapet. Diagonal off-set buttresses to west angles. Interior: chancel has much restored ogee-arched sedilia and piscina. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, corbels either end of arcades and double-chamfered arches. South aisle has pointed trefoil-headed piscina and image brackets either side of east window, that to left with carved head, that to right with foliage. C19 Communion Table supported by Elizabethan or Jacobean Ionic terms probably belonging to original communion rail. Large brass chandelier hanging in nave, presented 1808 by Reverend George Rooke and signed Cocks and Son, Birmingham with 10 branches in 2 tiers, ormolu rococo flame finial and rise and fall mechanism. Another smaller 6-branch chandelier in south aisle with similar mechanism; probably part of same gift. Royal arms of George III, oil on board. 2 funeral hatchments, oil on board, one with Compton arms, the other with arms of Reverend George Rooke, d,1856, Early C20 stain-glass windows to chancel and south aisle. Monuments: wall monument of white marble with slate inscription panel to John Wilson d.1695. Latin inscription is flanked by volutes and topped by swans neck pediment and cartouche of arms. Wall monument to Reverend Humfrey Betty d.l737 and his wife Dorothy d.1717 with veined grey marble apron and lamp with flame finial. Veined grey marble wall monument to William Underwood d.1760, postmaster of Oxford, Witney and Burford "who by care and industry acquired/An handsom Furtune/which he by will divided amongst his/Poor Relations./Being born in this Parish/It was his dying request/To be buried near the Rails/In this Chancel". Apron and lamp finial. Veined white marble wall monument to Reverend Edward Lye d.1767 signed by William Co of Northampton. Apron and pediment, upright oval inscription panel and bracket in front bearing book, quill and inkwell. Wall monument of white marble on grey marble ground to George Rooke d.1807, erected by his father, rector of this parish. Apron with martial trophy and arms and urn finial. Other early-mid C19 wall monuments. The architect for the restoration of the church, George Sutherland, was clerk of the works to the Castle Ashby estate. The work was carried out by the estate at the expense of 4th Marquis of Northampton. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p471; VCH; Northamptonshire: Vol IV: 1937, pp298-300; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire: 1932; Parish records deposited in Northamptonshire Record Office)

Listing NGR: SP8661657063

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1932 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1937
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 471

National Grid Reference: SP 86616 57063

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 01:46:29.