List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BIDDLESTONE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1041304

Location

BIDDLESTONE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityBiddlestone

National Park: NORTHUMBERLAND

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236111

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDDLESTONE BIDDLESTONE NT 90 NE 15/25 Biddlestone Roman 31/7/86 Catholic Chapel (formerly Listed as Roman Catholic Chapel)

11*

R.C. chapel, formerly private chapel to demolished Biddlestone Hall. Basement C13, chapel early C19, possibly 1820 by John Dobson, for Waiter Selby. Random rubble, ashlar and graduated Lakeland slate roof.

The basement is the tunnel-vaulted ground floor of a C13 tower. Massive masonry and walls 6 ft. thick. Inner doorway at east end has pointed arch with continuous chamfered surround. Continuous offset above ground floor.

Medieval masonry continues higher on north and west sides, indeed to eaves level on north side. Otherwise the chapel is ashlar. 3 bays. Pointed-arched south windows with cusped Y-tracery and dripstones. Similar 3-light east window.

Gabled roof with flat coping, kneelers and foliated-cross finial on east gable.

West end is irregular and patched where chapel adjoined house. Doorway to 1st floor is reached by later closed-in external stair. Parts of 2 C16 or C17 blocked mullioned windows with moulded frames.

In an isolated and extremely picturesque situation.

Northumberland County History Vol. XIV.

Biographical Dictionary of British Architects: Howard Colvin.

Listing NGR: NT9553208312

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, , Vol. 14, (1935)

National Grid Reference: NT 95532 08312

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 06:56:26.