List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1041206

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityChipping Warden and Edgcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234375

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPING WARDEN MILL LANE SP44NE (West side) 4/104 Church of St. Peter and St. 04/02/69 Paul GV I

Church. Late C13 origins, but predominantly C14 and early C15. Regular coursed ironstone with moulded plinths; chancel has some rubble. Lead roofs; chancel roof plastic. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch and north vestries. Decorated and Early Perpendicular style. 4-bay nave with 5-bay aisles embracing tower, 3-bay chancel. Early Perpendicular tower of 4 stages: Substantial diagonal buttresses. Ribbed double-leaf arched west door in moulded doorway with fluerons and crocketed ogee hood mould; badly eroded. Small moulded panel to left. Moulded string course, continued across buttresses. 3-light window with moulded arch and jambs, and flanking small moulded ogee niches. Upper stages have simple moulded string courses. Bell openings of 2 traceried lights with transom and hood mould. Crenellated parapet with panelled and crocketed pinnacles. South porch Early Perpendicular. Diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets. Low pitched roof with gable and side parapet and elaborately moulded arch. East side has trefoiled lancet, west side has 2-light traceried window. Ribbed double-leaf south door and elaborate Early Perpendicular moulded doorway. Both aisles have string course at sill level. South aisle has moulded parapet with gargoyle near east end. Two 2-light south and 3-light east windows with reticulated tracery. North and south aisles each have 3-light Perpendicular west window with cinqfoiled lights, straight head and hood mould. North aisle has gabled diagonal buttresses; east buttress has niche with nodding ogee arch. Parapet with alternating head and ballflower frieze. North door (blocked inside) between 2 westernmost windows has string course carried over as hood mould. Plank door with decorative strap hinges. 3 Decorated north windows have hood moulds with head stops. Nave has moulded parapets throughout. Early Perpendicular clerestory of three 4-light windows with cusped lights and hood mould. Chancel has square-headed south doorway with plank door, inserted below 2-light Perpendicular window. To left a late C13 two-light low side window with plate tracery; to right, a 3-light Decorated window. Early Perpendicular 4-light east window of 8 cusped lights in 2 tiers, with moulded arch and jambs, North vestries have 3-light Perpendicular north window, and 3-light Decorated east window with ogee arch, and hood mould with head stops. Interior: Wide nave and aisles. Tall wide 4-bay Early Perpendicular arcade. Piers of 4 main and 4 subsidiary shafts, with broad fillets. Elaborately moulded arches, bases and capitals. Hood moulds with angel stops; head stops to aisles. Perpendicular roof with head corbels. Tall elaborately moulded Transitional tower arch with head stops, and two heads in wall above arch. Lower part blocked; upper part has balustrade with turned balusters. Aisles have blind triple-chamfered tower arches; south aisle arch has hood mould. South aisle has Perpendicular roof with moulded tie beams. 3 sedilia and adjoining piscina have detached shafts with fillets, moulded arches and hood moulds and fragments of dog-tooth ornament. Piscina now blocked has simple ogee arch and square hood mould. North aisle has lean-to roof. 2 moulded corbels in north wall. Triple-chamfered chancel arch without imposts. Chancel has king-post roof with moulded purlins and Transitional style head corbels; eastern roof truss filled in with Gothic openwork. North wall has remains of 2 blocked round arches and small 2-centred door with hood mould. Small piscina, and C14 stone shelf on good head corbel. Squint into chancel from west vestry. South wall has ogee-headed piscina. Stone seat below easternmost window. West vestry has small piscina or holy water stoup with trefoiled arch and semi octagonal shaft. Fittings: octagonal stone font with panels of shields and fleurs de lys, and carved foliage. Painted wooden cover dated 1662(?). C17 aisle west screens with moulded muntins, openwork top with diagonally-set square uprights, and spikes; doors with H-L hinges Simple moulded stone reredos with C17 wood panels. Late C17/early C18 panelled pulpit with back panel and tester, pews, and box pews, in tiers at west end. C18 altar rails with vase and column balusters. Aumbry with carved and moulded wood door inscribed "John Ward Gave This 1627" set in chancel north wall. Royal arms in tower arch. Monuments: north aisle floor brass: William Makepiece, d.1584, and wife; small figures, with daughters below. Chancel floor brass: William Smarte, rector, d.1468; small figure. Wall monument; Edward Bathurst, d.1668. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, pp. 148-9).

Listing NGR: SP4989248700

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961

National Grid Reference: SP 49892 48700

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 04:40:23.