List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1041169

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityChipping Warden and Edgcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234388

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EDGCOTE SP54NW 5/117 Church of St. James 04/02/69

- I

Church. Early C13. Decorated and Perpendicular. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, ashlar tower, lead roof. Chancel, north vestry, nave and south aisle, south porch, west tower. 3-light Perpendicular windows in chancel. Late Perpendicular north vestry has square headed window with 2 cusped lights. Projection to west between nave and chancel contains C17 manorial pew, and has one-light window with moulded stone frame and square hood to north and doorway with pointed stone arch in west side. Two 2-light Decorated windows with flowing tracery in north wall of nave. C14 north doorway has arch with continuous mouldings, studded plank door and holy water stoup in arched recess to right. Two 2-light C14 windows with Y tracery in south aisle east of doorway and similar west window. C18 east window, 3 lights with straight keystoned head and stone mullions. C14 south porch has entrance with continuous mouldings and studded ribbed plank door. C13 inner doorway has double chamfered arch and jamb shafts with bell capitals. Perpendicular west tower, 4 stages with castellated parapet. West doorway has arch with continuous mouldings and hood with crocketed finials. Studded ribbed plank door. Holy water stoup in arched recess to right. 3-light west window with bar tracery. 2-light bell openings with transom and bar tracery. Interior: Piscina in chancel in arched cusped recess. C17 doorway to vestry has elaborately moulded 4-centred arch and original studded ribbed plank door. Manorial pew divided from chancel and nave by wooden Doric column and fitted with C17/C19 panelling and wall seats. Early C13 south arcade, 3 bays, has double chamfered arches and round piers. Capital of east pier is carved with heads, one supported by a hand. C18 polygonal panelled pulpit. C18 font (disused), alabaster in the form of an urn. Present font C19. Stained glass shields in south aisle windows C16 and C17. Important collection of monuments to the Chauncy family, including 4 by Rysbrack. Earliest to Toby, died 1579 and 2 wives. Alabaster chest tomb with effigies. William died 1585 and wife. Alabaster chest tomb with effigies and figures of 9 children in relief on north side. Other monuments are architectural wall tablets. Toby died 1662. South aisle. Slate plaque in gilded alabaster frame with scrolls and pendants of fruit surmounted by coat of arms. Those by Rysbrack are to William Chancy died 1644 (east end south aisle) pedimented white marble wall tablet. Richard died 1734, (west of south door). White marble tablet with broken pediment. Children of Toby Chauncy. White marble tablet with broken scroll pediment. Richard Chauncy died 1760 (north wall of nave). Wall tablet with scroll pediment. Swags of flowers and portrait bust in Roman style. Monument to Toby Chauncey died 1724 attributable to the Smiths of Warwick. Grey and white marble wall tablet with fluted Ionic columns and broken segmental pediment with coat of arms. Monument to Julia Cartwright, died 1853. North wall nave. Stone Gothic triptych with two praying figures. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.208-9).

Listing NGR: SP5050247906

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 208-9

National Grid Reference: SP 50502 47906

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 06:47:34.