List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

List entry Number: 1041108

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityPaulerspury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234550

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PAULERSPURY CHURCH STREET SP7145 (West side) 12/40 Church of St. James the Great 17/05/60 (Formerly listed as Church of St. James)

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, C15, much restored (including rebuilding) 1844, 1854 (chancel), and 1864. Coursed squared limestone, slate roofs, lead to north aisle, chancel chapel and west tower. Chancel, north chancel chapel and vestry, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated style east window, 3-light windows with intersecting tracery to south and north-east, all with hood moulds, priest's door to south, chamfered, with hood mould linked to string course, buttresses to angles and between bays to south. North chancel chapel continues north aisle and has coupled lancets to south, attached vestry to east with small rectangular windows with chamfered stone surrounds to east and north and ridged stone roof and 5-sided tower beside chancel with similar windows. Nave has 5-bay clerestory with spherical triangle windows and quatrefoil tracery. North aisle has 2-light windows to north with Y-tracery, double-chamfered north door with hood mould and carved head stops within porch of 1864. South aisle has 2-light east window with Decorated-style tracery, 2-light windows to south with Y-tracery and quatrefoil in heads, all with hood moulds. South door with double sunk chamfers within porch with double hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould, one-light windows to east and west with ogee head, diagonal buttresses, tile roof and stone-coped gable. 3-stage west tower has chamfered west door, a 3-light Perpendicular window above with hood mould continuing string course. C19 single-storey lean-to store to north, stair turret projection to south-east with small quatrefoil windows and one small 2-light trefoil headed window at middle stage level. Tall 2-light Perpendicular bell-openings, with transoms and hood moulds. Diagonal buttresses to west angles and battlemented parapets. Interior: chancel has fine C14 triple sedilia and double piscina, seats with pointed trefoil heads, miniature rib vaults within with foliage bosses, projecting divisions with crocketted pinnacles, crocketted hood moulds with ogee-arch frieze above the underside carved with foliage and fantastic beasts and brattishing on top; piscina has six-pointed star in spandrel. Chancel chapel windows have detached shafts inside and half columns, moulded capitals and arches with dog-tooth ornament; 2-bay arcade to chancel with octagonal pier and double-chamfered arches. Nave has 5-bay arcades with similar piers and arches, alternating with circular piers to north. C19 roofs except for C20 roof to chancel chapel. Triptych reredos of 1880 designed by Swinfen Harris with panels painted by Nathaniel Westlake. Fine C19 Perpendicular-style painted stone pulpit. Norman tub font with palmette style ornament either side of scalloped beaded fillet. Stained glass: south-west chancel window 1878 by Clayton and Bell, tower window by Hardman 1893, and C17 painted armorial panels in heads of chancel chapel windows. Monuments: mid C14 oak effigies of knight and lady, her pillow supported by angels, on panelled stone chest tomb, thought to commemorate Sir Lawrence de Pavely and his wife. Large black marble and alabaster chest tomb with relining effigies of Sir Arthur Throckmorton d.1603 and his wife, leaning on one elbow and facing each other. C17 wall monument with segmental pediment filled by cartouche. Mali monument to Benjamin Bathurst d.1704 and his wife d.1727 topped by urn against obelisk panel (behind organ). Wall monuments to Joseph Spinall d.1726 by Hunt, and Robert Sheddon of Paulersbury Park d.1826 by Theakston, and other C19 wall monuments. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.371; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; Guide to the Church of St. James the Great (no date).

Listing NGR: SP7156845496

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Guide to the Church of St James The Great Paulersbury
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973

National Grid Reference: SP 71568 45496

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 04:56:49.