List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1041048

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityKislingbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234723

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KISLINGBURY HIGH STREET SP65NE (West side) 4/94 Church of St. Luke 03/05/68

GV I

Church. C14, restored c.1700 with some alterations, tower restored 1717, spire rebuilt 1926, body of church restored and vestry added 1829-30; other C20 restorations. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, ironstone and limestone dressings, slate roofs except for lead roofs to aisles. Chancel, vestry, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has fine Decorated 5-light east window with intersecting ogee tracery and quatrefoils and 3-light windows north and south with similar tracery; many-moulded priest's door to south with hood mould and head stops. Vestry to north has gabled roof and panelled door with stop-chamfered lintel to west. 3-light leaded casement west window with stop-chamfered wood lintel, similar 2-light east window, chamfered plinth, stone eaves and stone-coped gable with kneelers. Aisles have 2-light Decorated windows to west with reticulated tracery and 3-light straight-headed windows north and south with chamfered stone mullions and no tracery, probably of c.1700. North door has sunk quadrant moulding, fleurons and hood mould with head stops. South door has 6-panel double-leaf doors to many-moulded doorway with ball-flowers and fleurons and hood mould with head stops. C15 south porch has chamfered doorway with 4-centred head and hood mould and 2-light Perpendicular windows east and west with straight heads. stone in gable inscribed with churchwarden's names and date 1747 and another below of red sandstone recording "thorough and complete repair in the years 1829 and 1830". 3-stage west tower has west door with chamfered jambs and lintel inscribed with churchwarden's names and date 1717 and 2-light window above with Y-tracery. 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery. Diagonal oofset buttresses, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles and recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Chancel has offset angle buttresses and offset buttress between bays to south. Deep chamfered plinth string course at sill level with fleurons, plain stone-coped parapets and fleuron frieze to south side of chancel at eaves level. All windows except those to vestry have hood moulds, most with head stops. Interior: canopies of former statues flank east window. Piscina with cusped ogee head, hood mould, head stops and finial. Sedilia with seats separated by shafts with foliage capitals, triangular cinquefoiled heads; crocketed hood mould with head stops and foliage finial to west seat. Fine door to vestry with leaf trails, fleurons and hood mould with head stops. Chamfered chancel arch on head corbels. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, double sunk chamfered arches and head corbel responds. Piscina in south aisle with cusped ogee hood, hood mould and crocketed pinnacles either side. Plaster ceilings to nave chancel and aisles. Octagonal font with fleurons in quatrefoils to sides and to underside of bowl and panelled stem, Chest of c.1500 with blind arcading and big rosettes. C18 16-broach brass chandelier with dove finial. Monuments: alabaster wall monument with slate inscription to Rev. John Perkins, d.1728, flanked by panelled pilasters, carved apron and urns with flame finials, signed John Hunt, Northampton. Veined marble wall monument to John Jephcott, d.1743, and Reverend Henry Jephcott, d.1798, and her husband, d.1801. Early and mid C19 wall monuments with white marble inscriptions on black marble ground, 2 signed Whiting Northampton. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.283 and 284; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; vestry door illustrated in J.H. Parker, "An Introduction to Gothic Architecture", many editions from 1849, fig.140).

Listing NGR: SP6972159655

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Parker, J H - Title: An Introduction to Gothic Architecture - Date: 1849
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 283-284

National Grid Reference: SP 69721 59655

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 09:37:03.