List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1041021

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityNether Heyford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234757

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETHER HEYFORD CHURCH STREET SP6558 (East side) 10/127 Church of St. Peter and St. 03/05/68 Paul

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, C16; restored and reseated 1855 by William Butterfield, organ chamber added, chancel rebuilt and church restored 1878 by E.F. Law. Coursed squared ironstone and coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, slate roofs with tile ridges except for felt roofs to aisles. Chancel, organ chamber, nave, aisles, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light C19 Decorated east window with reticulated tracery and straight-headed windows to north and south with ogee-headed lights, quatrefoil to head to that to south-east; diagonal offset buttresses, chamfered plinth and string course at sill level and plain stone-coped parapet with frieze at eaves level decorated with alternate heads and fleurons. Organ chamber (now vestry) to south has roll-moulded and hollow-chamfered door to east with hood mould and head stops (door re-set and partly renewed), Decorated style 2-light windows to east and south, diagonal offset buttresses, chamfered plinth, string course, plain stone-coped parapet and hipped roof. Nave has clerestory of quatrefoil windows, 4 to north, 3 to south, with square chamfered stone surrounds; hollow-chamfered stone eaves and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. C13 north aisle has 2-light coupled lancet windows except for that to north-east which has C19 tracery and trefoil to head. Double-chamfered north door with hood mould. South aisle has 2-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows to south and C19 quatrefoil window to west. C13 south door with one order of shafts, imposts and single-stepped arch with nail-head decoration in C19 gabled porch. 3-stage west tower has blocked west door with hollow chamfer and sunk-quadrant moulding, and hood mould with label stops. 2-light window above with trefoil to head, small niche with ogee-arched head to middle stage west, small 1-light window with cusped head to middle stage south and 2-light bell-chamber openings with ogee-arched heads to lights and quatrefoil to head. Diagonal offset buttresses and plain stone-coped parapet. Diagonal offset buttresses to south aisle, hallow-chamfered stone eaves to aisles and hood moulds to all windows except those to clerestory and south aisle. Interior: chancel has piscina with ogee-arched head and crocketed hood mould. Chancel arch has double sunk-quadrant-moulded arch, the inner arch on corbels. Nave has 5-bay north arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and chamfered arches. 4-bay south arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches with polygonal respond. Over life-size carved stone bearded head over middle arch of north aisle. North aisle has blocked recess With shafts and double roll-moulded arch, possibly an Easter Sepulchre. Font with plain round bowl and C17 octagonal, pyramidal, cover with ball finial. Polygonal pulpit and lectern designed by William Butterfield. C19 stained glass east window. Monuments: brass of Sir Walter Mauntell, d. 1487, and his wife holding hands. Wall monument to Judge Francis Morgan, d.1556, his wife and family with kneeling figures of husband and wife facing each other at prayer desk with members of their family behind them, flanked by allegorical figures in niches - Fides (feet only) and Spas. Simple marble wall monuments to Mrs. Sarah Bull, d. 1718, Mr. George Goldburne of Upper Heyford, d.1688, and Thomas Goldburne, d.1697. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.311; Kelly's Directory for Northanptonshire, l928; St. Peter and St. Paul Heyford; official guide (leaflet), no date.

Listing NGR: SP6596058714

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: St Peter and St Paul official guide
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1928 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 311

National Grid Reference: SP 65960 58714

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 04:39:30.