List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1040984

Location

THE SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityCourteenhall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234865

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 75 SE COURTEENHALL

5/42 The School and School House 03/05/68 (Formerly listed as the School and adjoining school- house)

II*

School and school-house, now village hall and house. Dated 1680 extended 1688, with C20 alterations and additions. Coursed squared limestone with ironstone dressings, hipped plain-tile roof to school, stone ridge and end stacks to school house. T plan. 1-storey and attic school, 2-storey and attic school-house. School-room has large central 6-panel double-leaf doors to entrance end with eared moulded stone surround, pulvinated frieze and broken segmental pediment, framing limestone cartouche with cost of arms of founder. Horizontal oval limestone panel above with moulded stone surround and Latin inscription beginning HOC/MUSARUM DOMICILIUM, commemorating foundation of school by Sir Samuel Jones, for the education of neighbouring youth up to 4 miles around and built by his executors Henry Edmonds and Francis Cran 1680. 3 leaded cross windows to right side with eared moulded stone surrounds. Similar windows to far end and to left side far end. Chamfered plinth and quoins, wood modillion leaves and small roof dormer to front end, larger hipped roof dormers to right side. Former schoolmaster's house, attached to middle of left side has central 6-panel door with moulded wood surround, overlight and C20 columned porch. Door flanked by C20 cross windows with ironstone jambs and stone lintels. 6-pane sash windows to first floor with stone lintels, that to right a false painted sash. Chamfered plinth ironstone eaves band, bracketed wood eaves and two hipped roof dormers. Former single-storey extension to left, built by first master Robert Ashbridge in 1688, breaks forward and has 6-panel double leaf doors, and moulded stone surround with pulvinated frieze. Datestone to right recording construction. Plaque above door recording restoration in 1923. Raised late C20 to 2 storeys and incorporated in school-house accommodation. Formerly an infant school; believed to have been built to accommodate usher Interior: schoolroom has complete set of original benches and desks ranged round walls including masters desk. School house has two open fireplaces with stop-chamfered bressumers, one with salt cupboard, and stop-chamfered spine beams. Fine central open well staircase from ground floor to attic with twisted balusters; panelled risers to first floor flights. Corner fireplace in first floor room with stop-chamfered wood lintel and cast-iron grate of c.1800. Attic rooms have fireplaces with stop-chamfered wood lintels and access to large attic over schoolroom said to have been used originally as dormitory. Stone flagged hall. Fitted cupboard and stone cellar. Door to cellar has wrought-iron latch and hinges. Other old doors.

(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p166; Country Life: August 12th 1939, p148).

Listing NGR: SP7590353130

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 166
'Country Life' in 12 August, (1939), 148

National Grid Reference: SP 75903 53130

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 08:11:00.