List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1040847

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, STRATFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityCosgrove

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COSGROVE STRATFORD ROAD SP7941 (South side) 16/10 Church of St. Peter and St. 17/05/60 Paul

GV I

Church. C13, C14 and C15. Repaired 1770-4. Restored 1864 by E.F. Law and 1887-92 by Edward Swinfen Harris. Coursed squared limestone, plain-tile roof to chancel, lead roofs to body of church. Chancel, nave, north aisle and west tower. Chancel has 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and hood mould and a C19 stepped triple lancet window to north and south. Priest's door of 1864 to north. Early English style with shafts and foliage capitals. C13 ornamental string-course at level of springing of central lancets, partly renewed and carried over windows as hood mould and over blocked side-lights of original east window either side of present window. Nave has 3-light windows to south with C19 geometrical tracery and hood moulds. 3 quatrefoil clerestory windows to north only, with square chamfered stone surrounds and plain stone-coped parapet to south with central datestone inscribed 1586. North aisle has 3-light east window with C19 Decorated tracery, 3-light windows to north with late C19 Perpendicular tracery and 4-centred heads, and small 2-light west window with Y-tracery and pointed trefoil-headed lights; all have hood moulds. Blocked chamfered north door with imposts and toothed hood mould. 4-stage tower has many-moulded west door. 3-light window above with C19 Perpendicular tracery and 2-light west window to next stage with Decorated tracery and quatrefoil to head, all with hood moulds. 2-light bell-chamber openings with cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoils to heads and hood moulds. Diagonal off-set buttresses, battlemented parapet and turret to south-east angle with ridged pyramidal stone roof. Weather-vane and gilded copper weathercock, possibly medieval. Chamfered plinths to tower and chancel, irregularly sited off-set buttresses to nave and aisle, and chamfered wood eaves to north side of nave and north aisle. Interior: chancel has aumbry. Double-chamfered chancel arch with continuous outer arch and polygonal responds with moulded bases and capitals innermost. Nave has C13 5-bay arcade with quatrefoil piers, moulded bases and capitals, double-chamfered arches and toothed hood moulding. Part-blocked tower arch with C18 door to vestibule in tower; round-arched door with moulded wood surround and keyblock. C19 roof to chancel. Plaster ceiling to north aisle. 5-bay roof to nave, formerly hidden by C18 coved plaster ceiling. Roof has arch-braced ties, wall-posts on corbels and king posts. Two trusses to east half of roof have stop-moulded ties, raised principals and side-struts from ties to principals. Those to west probably late Clb or early C17 with bar stops to ties and side-struts to principal rafters. Monuments: small wall monument with brass inscription plate in moulded stone surround to Reverend William Bradshawe, d.1601, and his wife Barbara. Wall monument, oil on board in Japanned wood frame to Henry Longueville, d.1713, and 3 wall monuments signed by William Cox of Northampton, to Harriet Kantchbull, d.1767, to Reverend Pulter Forester, rector of Cosgrove and Passenham, d.1778, and to Reverend Richard Wadsworth, d.1781. All have obelisk backgrounds and cartouches of arms, that to Pulter Forester with inscription on open book. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p159)

Listing NGR: SP7909242457

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 159

National Grid Reference: SP 79092 42457

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 02:05:13.