List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CHANTRY

List entry Number: 1040820

Location

THE CHANTRY, BOZENHAM MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityGrafton Regis

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235278

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAFTON REGIS BOZENHAM MILL LANE SP7546 (North side) 13/41 The Chantry 01/12/51 (Formerly listed as Manor House and Lodge)

6V II*

House and barn, formerly stable and barn, ororiginally gatehouse dwelling and north service building. Mid/Late C16, C19 and C20 altertions. Coursed square limestone and limestone limestone and iirr+stace rubble, plain-tile roof, brick end and ridge stacks. 2-storey, 5-bay range. Elevation facing road to south has two large blocked windows with roughly 4-centred heads; that to right has smaller blocked opening with wood lintel. Irregular glazing of 1-, 2- and 3-light casement windows with wood lintels. Off-set buttress near left angle. Left end elevation has 3 ventilation slits, right end elevation has C20 door with wood lintel and carved stone head above. Rear elevation has four 3-light stone arch mullion windows with cut spandrels, that to centre of range C20 and replacing door, plank door to far right with wood lintel. Pair of C20 leaded casement windows to lst floor left of centre and loft door to right of centre, all between ground floor windows. Interior: dwelling has large chamfered spine beam. Late medieval 5-bay roof over whole building has massive stop-chamfered cambered tie beams to principal rafters with queen struts to collars and 2 tiers of purlins. Original rafters throughout. The building was probably a gatehouse range similar in form to that of Northborough, Cambs. Grafton was a royal manor in C16, and work is recorded here in 1520s-80s. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p227. H Colvin: History of the Kings Works Vol IV, 1485-1660, pt II, 1982: p92-6; information from C T P Woodfield.) (1259)

Listing NGR: SP7587046854

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 227
Summerson, C, Biddle, M, Hale, J R, Merriman, M, 'History of The Kings Works' in History of the Kings Works 1485-1660 Part 2, , Vol. 4, (1982), 92-6

National Grid Reference: SP 75870 46854

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 11:29:44.