List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1040819

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, BOZENHAM MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityGrafton Regis

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-May-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235274

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAFTON REGIS BOZENHAM HILL LANE SP7546 (North side) 13/37 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 17/05/60

GV II*

Church. Early C13, C14 and C15; repaired and re-pewed 1840, restored 1889. Coursed squared limestone, slate roof to nave. Lead roofs to chancel, tower and porch. Chancel, north chancel chapel, nave, north aisle, south porch, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light east window with renewed Perpendicular tracery and hood mould, a 2-light window to north-east with straight head and pair of 2-light Perpendicular windows to south with ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds. Windows flank blocked window above double wave-moulded priest's door with ogee-arched head; sill of window to south-west was formerly lower than that to south-east and has been partly blocked. Chancel chapel continues north aisle and has 3-light window with reticulated tracery, aisle has 2-light windows to north with Decorated tracery and 3-light west window with intersecting tracery; all have hood moulds. Nave has square clerestory window to north-east and south-east, the former with double-chamfered stone surround, the latter with hollow-chamfered surround and quatrefoil. 2-light windows to south with Decorated tracery and hood moulds. Double wave-moulded south door with hood mould and label stops in porch with double-chamfered doorway and hood mould. Blocked windows to either side of porch, stone benches within and roof with innermost tie-beam dated 1835. 3-stage tower has polygonal stair turret to south-east angle with ogee-arched door, small cusped 1-light window at intermediate level and ridged stone roof. Tower has similar windows to middle stage, 2-light west window to 1st stage with Decorated tracery and hood mould and similar bell-chamber openings. Diagonal off-set buttresses and battlemented parapet. Diagonal off-set buttresses to porch and south-east angle of nave. Chamfered stone eaves to nave and chancel and stone-coped gables with kneelers. Interior: chancel has stone reredos with ogee-arched blank arcading and cusped ogee-arched piscina. Priest's door is flanked by sedilia fording tripartite composition, all with ogee-arched heads. Double-chamfered arch to chancel chapel on corbels. Nave has 4-bay arcade with circular pier, polygonal responds and double-chamfered arches. Triple-chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds. Large medieval panel painting of the Betrayal of Christ above priest's door. C19 stain-glass windows in north aisle. Monuments: chest-tomb with trefoil-headed arched panels and three semi-octagonal colonnettes to middle of long side and either end, shields to panels either end and slab incised with two foliated crosses. Chest tomb with seven ogee-headed arched panels, shields to panels either end and incised slab to Sir John Wydevyl c.1415. Wall monument in Grecian style signed by Flaxman to Charlotte Countess of Euston d.1808 with sarcophagus flanked by Faith and Hope. Wall monument to Lord James Henry Fitzroy d.1834 signed by William Behnes with draped urn in niche of sarcophagus; white marble on slate ground. Other Fitzroy wall monuments early/mid C19, white marble on slate grounds. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp226-7; Kelly's Directory to Northamptonshire, 1936)

Listing NGR: SP7589246922

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Northamptonshire - Date: 1936 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 226-7

National Grid Reference: SP 75892 46922

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 12:39:46.