List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE

List entry Number: 1040713

Location

CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict AuthorityIrchester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233473

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IRCHESTER HIGH STREET SP96NW (West side) 5/191 Church of St. Katherine 28/05/54

GV I

Church. Late C12, C13 and C14. Regular coursed limestone with ironstone and ashlar dressings, tower is banded limestone and ironstone ashlar; lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range with one 2-light Perpendicular window to far right and two 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred heads and carved label stops. South door between windows has trefoil head and carved label stops. All openings restored C19. Steep gabled roof with ashlar, cornice, gable parapets and finial. 5-light Perpendicular east window has 4-centred head and continuous shaft-surround. Blank north elevation to chancel. South aisle of 4 bays with 2-window range to right of C14 three-light square-headed windows with relieving arches above. Shallow gabled roof has castellated ashlar parapet and finial. 4-light Perpendicular east window and 2-light west window. C14 porch to left of centre has moulded outer arch flanked by pinnacles with niche above. 4-light square-headed side windows with transoms. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet, finial and 2 gargoyles. North elevation of north aisle and north chapel of 5-window range of C14 three-light square-headed windows. North door to right has shafts and roll mouldings. Shallow gabled roof has plain ashlar parapet with gargoyles. Similar 3-light west window and 4-light east window which has high sill and evidence of blocked openings below. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light windows with 4-centred heads. Decorated west tower of 3 stages with 2 half stages at base. 3-stage angle buttresses to lower 2 stages. West door has moulded surround, 2-light window above has carved label stops. Pairs of 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Corbel table with ashlar spire above having low broaches. 3 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of double hollow-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Late C12 responds at west end with leaf crockets in the capitals. Triple-chamfered chancel and tower arches. Chamfered and moulded arch from chancel to north chapel has polygonal cluster responds. C19 roof structures. Double piscina with trefoil heads in chancel has 2 square-headed openings adjacent. Oven for altar bread in north wall. Similar single piscina in south aisle. Tomb recess in north aisle. C13 octagonal font. Rood screen retains original base, the upper part is restored. Parclose screen to south chapel has linenfold panelling to base. C17 pulpit decorated with arcades and pairs of balusters at the corners. Bench ends have some original traceried panels. Jacobean bread cupboard with open balusters in north aisle. Parish chest in chancel. Monuments: brass to John Glynton died 1510 and wife, north aisle, south wall, female figure only remains. Thomas Jenison died 1681, double inscription flanked by Corinthian columns with pediment over. North wall of chancel, three C17 black floor tablets to Jenison family. Various early C19 marble tablets. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in 2 south aisle and one south chancel windows. Late C19 east window by Mayer and Co., and early C20 window in north aisle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.265).

Listing NGR: SP9256466010

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 265

National Grid Reference: SP 92564 66010

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 03:27:15.