List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEARS ASHBY HALL

List entry Number: 1040699

Location

MEARS ASHBY HALL, WIBLY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict AuthorityMears Ashby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233544

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEARS ASHBY WILBY ROAD SP8366 (South side) 16/260 Mears Ashby Hall 28/05/54 GV II*

Country House. Dated 1637 for Thomas Clenden, probably earlier origins, extended C18 and 1859 by A. Salvin for Stockdale family. Lias ashlar with Collyweston slate roof. Originally E-plan, Jacobean style. 2 storeys with attics. Main front of 7-window range. 5-window range to left is the original house. Central 3 storey porch has arched entrance flanked by pairs of fluted Roman Doric columns supporting an entablature and cornice. C19 panelled door. Blank arch above entrance has initials T.C. Dutch gable with attic window having a curved head is surmounted by an open circle with obelisk. Bays to left and right of porch have small gables with stepped head attic windows. Flanking bays break forward with large gables. 3- and 4-light stone-mullioned windows. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers with finials at eaves and apex. Ashlar stacks at ridge. 2-window range to right was added by Salvin in similar style. 4- and 6-light stone mullioned and transomed windows. Short square tower with conical roof abuts the main house and has a gable breaking forward to the right. Rainwater heads have dates 1637, Garden front to right is similar and by Salvin with squared stone bay to the left and a gable to the right. Rear elevation has 3 gables of original house to right and 1859 extension with datestone to left. c.1859 single-storey range to centre. Interior: entrance hall has fielded panelling. C18 staircase with half landing and fluted balustrades. Staircase to Salvin wing has large Griffin head newels, room to rear has C20 painted ceiling. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.304; Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire: J. A. Gotch, p.29).

Listing NGR: SP8397766416

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gotch, J A , Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire, (1939), 29
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 304

National Grid Reference: SP 83977 66416

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 12:16:22.