List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALL HALLOWS CHURCH HALL

List entry Number: 1040619

Location

ALL HALLOWS CHURCH HALL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233750

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELLINGBOROUGH CHURCH STREET SP8967NW (South side) 11/97 All Hallows Church Hall 23/09/50 (Formerly listed as No.27 and Church Hall (Old Grammer School)

GV II

Grammer School, now church hall. Early C17, restored C19 and C20. Squared coursed ironstone, part banded with limestone, with C20 plain-tile roof. Originally probably 2-unit plan, one of which was a larger hall. 2 storeys with attic, 5-window range of 4-light stone-mullion windows with leaded lights. C20 door to left has 4-centred moulded stone head with roundels in the spandrels. 2 large stone dormers with 3-light stone mullion windows with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and 3 finials. Stone stack with cornice to end and ashlar window to first floor with quatrefoil panel above. Turned finials to kneelers and mid parts of parapets. Rear elevation to Church Street has three C19 stone-mullion windows and 2 door openings with 4-centered mouldd stone heads. 3 trefoil air holes to ground and first floor. Pair of tall stone stacks at eaves. Panels above entrance to main front have moulded stone surrounds with plain panel below and inscription, "Edward Pickering of Swasey in the Country of Cambridge Esq., one of the sons of Sir John Pickering late of Tichmarsh in this County K't and Barn't Ana.Dnj. 1682. Gave to this free school 130L for the advancement of learning. Aspice Respice Fac Smilie". Also, "Richard Fisher of Wellingborough gent, gave to the schoolmasters of this place 15 per an. for the further encouragment of learning An.Dnj.1711", and below, "Qiao,aozi Multum Debeo. Barbaris autem nihil". C20 rstored sundial in dormer above. Interior: 2 plank doors with strap hinges to entrance vestibule.Remains of carved stone sun face in entrance hall. Central chamfered ceiling beam in room to right. First floor hall has C19 exposed roof trusses and plaster panels.

Listing NGR: SP8911967965

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 89119 67965

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 08:22:11.